NYC Pints 'n' Purls Message Board Movie Nights › Knit Flix Host(ess) sign-ups here!

Knit Flix Host(ess) sign-ups here!

A former member
Post #: 6
Hey Guys!

Ji Hyun has suggested we start doing monthly or bimonthly Netflix meetups to watch movies and do our fiber crafts of choice in the comfort of each other's apartments (BYOB). Use this thread to volunteer to host and we can set up a rotation of monthly movie nights! When you sign up, include:

• Your neighborhood (no need to list your address as we can't secure that knowledge from the public here on the forums, as far as I know)
  • Your pets, if any, whether you smoke, or any other allergens people might be exposed to in your residence
  • How many people your apartment can hold for a movie night. Keep in mind that roughly 30% of those who RSVP usually wind up not coming.
  • A theme/genre or brief list of movies you'd be interested in showing at your place, as well as any restrictions on when you can and cannot host. (for example, Deborah was interested in a holiday-themed one for next month).

After you all comment, I'll start a spreadsheet and get a few events set up. Sound good?
Ji H.
user 6801060
New York, NY
Post #: 3
I can host on Sunday Nov 14, between 2pm til abt 6pm or until we can get through 2 flicks. I'm in midtown west and I have a super-friendly border collie. I'll prepare some finger foods, and get some drinks. We can even order in some pizza because the films will run through lunch/dinner hrs.

I'd like to suggest ppl bring in their own Netflix so we can all have a vote in what we watch. I wld like to suggest one romance (comedy, tear-jerker) and one suspense/mystery.

For my two-cents, I'll suggest Fantastic Mr. Fox (animated comedy) and Queen Victoria (romance).
Deborah
user 3065513
New York, NY
Post #: 3
I would like to do Sunday, Dec 5. I will be home after 1:00. I will home with my doggie after that.

I can also do a different Sunday in December, I am just worried that people may have holiday get togethers on the weekends closer to Christmas....

I live in Stuy Town. I have lots of room but only seats for 8. I can try to borrow chairs from my neighbors...

I will be happy to heat up some apps and such. I can also provide some inexpensive wine from Trader Joes.

Holiday movie marathon - I am up for suggestions, but Elf is a must.
A former member
Post #: 2
Ji Hyun - I absolutely LOVE Queen Victoria, and have really been wanting to see Fantastic Mr. Fox for a while now. I'm only concerned that it might be a bit soon- people may already have plans. I know I would have to miss out, which would be a bummer personally. Could you possibly host one week later or....? And if anyone (or many people!) know they can make this Sunday, feel free to chime in!

Deborah - I think December 5 could work, though we also have a meetup going on on 12/4, but more events are more fun, right? I do agree about running in to holiday plans for everyone. And holiday movies would be fun- I can think of several of my favorites I'd love to bring.
A former member
Post #: 7
Ji Hyun - I agree that it might be a bit soon. On the other hand, I know you said your place is a bit small, so being short notice might be OK. In any case, I won't be able to attend because I'm going to be visiting a friend in Albany, and if Monica can't be there either, I think it would be better to wait a bit. It sounds like Deborah has a movie night claimed for December, so if we want to keep it monthly, you can pick a weekend in January and I'll be sure to make it :) That way it will be on people's radar for a good while, as well.

Deborah - Hahah can I bring The Hebrew Hammer? I think it would be a nice complement to Elf. Plus I think two events in one weekend would rock. If we're all in agreement, I can create the event. Deborah, you just need to send me a message with your address, how many people your apartment can hold, and anything you think is important to let people know in terms of subway lines, allergies, what they should bring, etc. If you've got parking in your neighborhood, I can drive over some of my folding chairs, but my guess is people won't mind sitting on the floor (I certainly don't).
Ji H.
user 6801060
New York, NY
Post #: 4
Yes, I think it's a bit rushed for this coming weekend. I'll schedule for January when we get closer to the date.

Ji Hyun - I agree that it might be a bit soon. On the other hand, I know you said your place is a bit small, so being short notice might be OK. In any case, I won't be able to attend because I'm going to be visiting a friend in Albany, and if Monica can't be there either, I think it would be better to wait a bit. It sounds like Deborah has a movie night claimed for December, so if we want to keep it monthly, you can pick a weekend in January and I'll be sure to make it :) That way it will be on people's radar for a good while, as well.

Deborah - Hahah can I bring The Hebrew Hammer? I think it would be a nice complement to Elf. Plus I think two events in one weekend would rock. If we're all in agreement, I can create the event. Deborah, you just need to send me a message with your address, how many people your apartment can hold, and anything you think is important to let people know in terms of subway lines, allergies, what they should bring, etc. If you've got parking in your neighborhood, I can drive over some of my folding chairs, but my guess is people won't mind sitting on the floor (I certainly don't).

Jackie
masonbee
Brooklyn, NY
This is a fantastic idea and I'd love to hostess a knit night. I live in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn. I have a non-smoking home and a cat who sleeps all the time except when she's eating. My apartment is small, however I have room to seat 10 people. The idea of everyone bringing a netflix is a good one - perhaps we can do in February with romantic comedies - maybe in conjunction with our Valentine knit exchange :)
A former member
Post #: 8
Ok! So it sounds like we've got a schedule going! I'd like to get all three movie nights on the calendar ASAP.

Here's what I need from each of you so I can create the event (please e-mail the information to me using the Send Message feature so that your address is secure):

Date: December 5
Time: 2-6 (ok?)
Place: Deborah's place
Address:
Attendee limit:
Movies: Holiday-themed!
Pets:
Subway lines/other directions:
Anything else they should know?

Date: January somethingth?
Time:
Place: Ji-Hyun's place
Address:
Attendee limit:
Movies: one romance (comedy, tear-jerker) and one suspense/mystery (bring your own)
Pets: dog

Date: February somethingth
Time:
Place: Jackie's place
Address:
Attendee limit: 15
Movies: Valentine's Day themed!
Pets: cat

I will automatically add in the bits about the events being BYOB and that people should feel free to bring snacks and whatnot.
anne
user 5967251
Brooklyn, NY
I'd like to volunteer my place. Anytime Jan/Feb should work. I sometimes work Sundays, but scheduling to start at 6pm (at the earliest ) would be safe.
Date: Jan/Feb?
Time: 6pm or after
Place: Anne's place
Address: Park Slope
Attendee limit: 15
Movies:
Pets: dog (there's a cat who lives in the stairwell, but he's not allowed in our apartment)
Subway lines/other directions: 7th Ave. F/G stop (we're just around the corner)
Ji H.
user 6801060
New York, NY
Post #: 5
I can host Sunday January 9th from 2pm until 7 pm, or until we can get through 2 films. I can fit abt 15 peeps. I will provide finger food, some drinks. BYOB and add'l snacks are welcome. If anyone has Netflix discs they want to share, bring those as well. We can take a vote. I'll have Fantastic Mr. Fox and maybe a classic Cher film.