align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

NYC Screenwriters Collective Message Board › Sitting is the New Smoking

Sitting is the New Smoking

A former member
Post #: 59
Whether you are full-time writers or part-time, chances are your day is sedentary.
We work sitting, we watch our favorite movies sitting, and well, we write sitting.

I am on a quest for a laptop riser to try to go the Hemingway way at least part of the day.
Here is an interesting link (one of so many) that is visual on the subject:

http://www.ultra-heal...­

Stretch. Walk. Get up.
Dave
user 3341706
New York, NY
Post #: 174
sitting is not that bad! If it was, people who don't sit much at their jobs - pro athletes, cops, farmers, doctors would live the longest but they have shorter life spans. I'm guessing this message was sponsored by the high fructose corn syrup producers who want to get Ms. Obama off their backs...
It's more about calories expended. There is a BIG difference between sitting and writing and sitting and channel-surfing mindlessly. You burn a whole lotta calories sitting and writing - trust me on this!
Justin M.
justintime4lunch
Sherman Oaks, CA
Post #: 61
I definitely get fatter any time I start a new temp office job... but maybe that's just because day jobs make me depressed and stressed out. I do think exercise and calories are different things when it comes to health (not just your weight). And living longer doesn't necessarily mean you're able bodied, energetic, and strong.

This article had some good points:

Is Sitting A Lethal Activity?

They use the argument that you can't "jog off" a pack of cigarettes. Either way, it's worth thinking about. I know when I write standing up with my laptop on a high table I'm less likely to fall asleep and I'm burning more calories pacing back and forth.

But then again, don't we have butts for a reason?
A former member
Post #: 60
I haven't checked the reason why the people you mentioned have relatively short life span but something tells me it is not due to the fact that they stand rather than sit. Cops and doctors who work long shifts and nights, cannot afford a leisurely lunch break over a fresh salad, most of them end up living on junk food.

Secondly, every message and every article you read is always sponsored. No scientific research is ever unbiased, so that is a given, and yet... even if you assume that your sitting position is the ideal one, the recommended by physicians and your knees, elbows and back are placed at the perfect position not to cause any pressure, something rarely any of us tend to keep more than few moments a day, sitting for many hours without getting up, walking a bit, stretching, will slowly numb your inner organs, heart, lungs, kidneys, you name it.
If it worked for Hemingway to write while standing...

sitting is not that bad! If it was, people who don't sit much at their jobs - pro athletes, cops, farmers, doctors would live the longest but they have shorter life spans. I'm guessing this message was sponsored by the high fructose corn syrup producers who want to get Ms. Obama off their backs...
It's more about calories expended. There is a BIG difference between sitting and writing and sitting and channel-surfing mindlessly. You burn a whole lotta calories sitting and writing - trust me on this!