NYC Screenwriters Collective Message Board › One of the most unusual movie-related meetups one will ever see and/or parti

One of the most unusual movie-related meetups one will ever see and/or participate in...

Michael
user 2584902
Harrington Park, NJ
Post #: 31
Dear NYC Screenwriters Collective Members:

Greetings! Looking forward to seeing some of you at this coming weekend's screenplay review on Sunday.

For everyone, however, I thought I would share this epiphany that I had last night - since it is storyline related. I am looking to turn it into a fairly large meetup on Sunday, August 18 in a large park in Essex County, NJ.

The following would be (approximately) how the meetup event invitation would look when sent out to hundreds of members in one or two North Jersey-based meetup groups. If it comes to it, you have my blessing if you wish to use the idea for a meetup in Central Park later this summer or into the fall.

MEETUP EVENT TITLE: 60 SECONDS TIL HOLLYWOOD - THE LIVE-ACTION MOVIE TRAILERS (MEETUP EVENT)

Greetings everyone! My name is Michael and I am a new member of several north Jersey-based social groups, as well as a longtime organizer of large (non-meetup) social groups over the last decade.

I would like to propose the most ambitious and unique event that I have ever come up with for a social group. My proposed event involves two parts: (1) breakfast at noon at IHOP Bloomfield or Hearth Charcoal restaurant and (2) a "live-action" meetup at Brookdale Park in Bloomfield later in the afternoon.

The live-action part of this meetup would involve everybody being assigned teams (the reason for being assigned is so that friends/cliques do not automatically form and have others at a disadvantage). There will be two separate games for two separate genres: One would be a comedy and the other would be a human drama. EACH of the two games will involve all teams spending 30 minutes on their own brainstorming, preparing and practicing to launch a live performance of a "movie trailer" (the skeletal storyline I will provide ahead of time). After the 30 minutes are up, EACH team will perform a 60-90 second movie trailer for the remaining teams. When all teams are done, the teams will be reshuffled and this will allow for a second game when team members will work with members from other teams. Depending on attendance, I am estimating that EACH team will be composed of 6-8 people with one distinct responsibility: 3-4 actors/actresses, 2-4 script writers and 1 voice announcer. I also assume that each game will take 45 minutes (30 minutes prep, 10-15 minutes for all groups to perform live-action after). Thus, around 90 minutes total in the park.

If you wish to come to this event, please list (under your RSVP) whether you wish to be an actor/performer or a writer. Also, if you think you have a good "radio voice", then list that along with one of the other two options.

The two things that could cancel this event are: bad weather for the day OR not enough people in the respective meetup group(s) signing up ahead of time to be actors and/or writers. I will keep everyone updated throughout, as I will try to prepare meticulously for my role in this event, which includes sending a detailed email out ahead of time, then being there on the day of event to moderate and logistically support all the teams.

REASONS WHY YOU ARE LIKELY TO ENJOY THIS EVENT:
1) You enjoy writing and/or being in performance arts
2) You are looking for a completely unique activity that has never been proposed anywhere before
3) You like working in teams and appreciate the day's emphasis on creativity, imagination, teamwork and watching live performances
4) You get really excited anytime a movie trailer comes on TV (or elsewhere) and you love seeing the clips and hearing "the voice"

REASONS WHY YOU WOULD NOT WANT TO RSVP FOR THIS EVENT:
1) If you are a person who doesn't like too much of a structure and doesn't wish to lose any of your independence at a meetup
2) If you are nervous around - both - large and small groups in a somewhat competitive environment (not that it isn't fun)
3) If your meetup focus tends to be on the mingling/social side and are not in the mood to burst a few brain cells in collaboration with others to create performance art

Thank you for your time and I look forward to seeing you at this event.

Sincerely,
Michael Amdur

northeastern Bergen County, NJ