NYC Soul A Cappella Message Board › "Intros and Info" Recap and Important Info For Group!

"Intros and Info" Recap and Important Info For Group!

Ja'Dell
user 16780351
New York, NY
Hello Soul Stirrers!

I apologize for the delay with this follow up to our Meet-Up this past Thursday (those of you who were there witnessed the cast on my hand, and, thus, my typing limitations **smile**)

A HUGE thanks to those who came to our “Intros and Info” session. Your energy, enthusiasm, and input were wonderful. This dynamic will ensure that we realize the goals of this group.

For those who couldn’t make it, please read the recap below carefully. We were able to agree upon many ideas that will shape the group moving forward. If you have questions, comments, concerns, or want to officially co-sign what is outlined below, please feel free to do so in the discussion version of this message (Im sending this via direct email and as a discussion topic on the NYC Soul A Cappella main page).

Some quick notes for immediate action:
** IF YOU ARE A MALE BASS or BARRITONE: You want in on this! Please respond and let us know you’re down, that you’re here, that you’re coming to the next shindig…and read below ☺
** PLEASE RESPOND TO THE SURVEY I’LL POST ON THE NYC SOUL A CAPPELLA PAGE! We’re trying to determine 1) Your desired level of participation, 2) Your rehearsal day availability, and 3) The regional preference for rehearsal.
**Check Out Discussions featuring web links to a cappella group performance videos and a cappella song tracks. For those who may not be familiar with a cappella arrangements or performances, look here. Feel free to post videos or song tracks that you may be familiar with as well.

(Meeting Recap Below)
______________________________________­_______________________

1. Individual intros

2. Purpose/Vision for this Met-Up: Goal is to arrange, rehears, and PERFORM good music

3. Song Selection: As the group title suggests, R&B/Soul based music
i. The importance of this – maintaining a sound, a familiarity with the genre and new artists…an identity
ii. Branching out from here is cool, but keeping true to our core sound (some pop cool and goes with the sound, some pop not…some can be stylized and rearranged creatively, some not so much)

4. A Cappella Song Examples + Artist Examples
**Ja’Dell has arranged and/or taught these songs previously**
i. “Yesterday”, “Can You Stand The Rain” – Boyz II Men Arrangement
ii. “Wonderful” – India Arie
iii. “Come Unto Me” – Take 6
iv. Other artists: Stevie Wonder, Dave Matthews Band, Van Hunt, Jill Scott, Lauryn Hill, G Love and Special Sauce, Michael McDonald…
**AS WE BEGIN TO REHERASE AND LEARN TO SING WITH THIS GROUP OF FOLKS, THESE ARE SOME SONGS WE WILL LEARN. WE’LL CHOSE OTHERS TO ARRANGE AS WE GO ALONG**

5. Ways to participate in the group: (Right now we have more of a small chorus… which could work!)
i. Full on, regular rehearsals, seeking to perform
ii. Folks interested in learning, participate in rehearsals, not performing
iii. Folk interested in attending rehearsals AND supporting performances, not singing
iv. Big-group rehearsals? Learn songs more as a chorus than small a cappella group
**PLESE INDICATE YOUR LEVEL OF PARTICIPATION IN THE SURVEY I WILL SEND OUT!**

6. Performance Opportunities:
i. Public spaces: Subway stations, parks, other random gathering spots
ii. Open Mics
iii. Special Events
iv. Competitions

7. Rehearsal spaces we’re exploring: Churches, Library, Rental space for performers in various parts of the city