NYC Telephony Hackers Message Board › Assistance and advice on USSD/SMS app

Assistance and advice on USSD/SMS app

Tendekai Muchenje
user 24086972
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 6
Send an Email Post a Greeting
Hi guys,

My name is Tendi and I am currently working on a learning platform that delivers courses on different platforms. One of my chief targets is developing countries where we hope to deliver coursework via SMS and USSD. I have two main obstacles and was hoping to get your assistance:

1) Is there any workaround/hack for delivering more than 182 characters via USSD? I would like users to. Be able to access notes via USSD but this character limit is crippling.

2) Can USSD be able to accommodate push messages? I know it can definitely pull questions from my database but I would like a user to be able a send back a response to a multiple choice question. I.e. they read the question and possible solution and responds with the letter associated with the solution choice.

If either of this is possible please do let me know and if not i would welcome any suggestions on workarounds.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Tendi
James Monaghan
user 8574069
New York, NY
Post #: 1
Send an Email Post a Greeting
Hi Tendi,

1. You are stuck with 160 bytes, or 182 characters, per message. You can of course split your text into multiple messages.

2. You can send a USSR (a request message) instead of a USSN (a notification), and the user will be promoted to respond. How you do this will depend on the platform you're using (which is it, by the way?).

Cheers,

James.