addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The New York City Progressive Muslim Meetup Group Message Board › STATEMENT OF PRINCIPLES

STATEMENT OF PRINCIPLES

A former member
Post #: 104
I recently posted our Statement of Principles to our 'About' page, but was thinking that we should also have it someplace more visible... so here it is again. Congratulations to all for the effort:

Statement of Principles

·We recognize as a Muslim anyone who identifies herself or himself as a Muslim.

·We recognize the full diversity of Islamic traditions and the free participation therein as a sincere expression of faith.

·We recognize the equal worth, and the corresponding right to equal status, of all human beings.

·We affirm our commitment to social and economic justice and environmental protection; understanding that the full self-actualization of all people, in a safe and sustainable world, is a prerequisite for freedom, civility, and peace.

·We recognize, celebrate, and seek to engage with the great diversity of spiritual, religious, cultural, and philosophical inspirations of the past and present.

·We recognize critical reasoning and dynamic engagement with Islamic scripture and prevailing Islamic practices as an expression of devotion to, and esteem for, Islam and humanity.

·We recognize the corruptive influence that religion and state have on one another, and believe that their separation is vital to their mutual protection.

·We embrace the virtues of physical and spiritual nonviolence; refraining from causing injury to, or holding hatred for, another human being.

A former member
Post #: 132
Well said smile
Alhamdolillah!

'Extend your greetings to all alike, you will have peace. It is wrong to discriminate.'
- Hadith
A former member
Post #: 1
very nice statements yeah.
A former member
Post #: 3
Subhan Allah! Such beautiful principles! May Allah continue to give us the inner strength & wisdom do HIS will on earth. To honor & glorify HIM through embracing Islam with great heart, dignity and kindness towards the environment & all humanity and in so doing unify us!
Salima
Salima1
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 8
Mashallah its great!!!

Keep up the great work Sam.
A former member
Post #: 3
Much appreciated. This really resonates with me. Smiles.
I heard an echo across cultures and religions. Witness:

"My religion is simple. My religion is kindness."
---His Holiness the Dalai Lama of Tibet