addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The New York City Progressive Muslim Meetup Group Message Board › Another opportunity to help your fellow New Yorkers

Another opportunity to help your fellow New Yorkers

Irene
otterwear
New York, NY
Post #: 10
I'm writing to you all on behalf of Habitat for Humanity's New York City headquarters, to see if anyone can help re-hab some condos in Brooklyn on Sunday the 14th.

I am scheduled to help out that day and I've been asked to help recruit some more able-bodied adults (or teens 16 and older) to help. Some of you may not be up to this yourselves, but you may know other folks who would be interested, so please spread the word. Please feel free to put any possible workers in touch with me by responding here or calling 212-339-0548.

Details are below, but feel free to ask me any other questions about anything that's not covered here.

Thanks in advance,
Irene Friedland
---------

Preparing to Serve

Habitat-NYC uses an action-reflection approach to volunteering, keeping in mind the following information on Bedford-Stuyvesant:

· The rental vacancy rate in Bedford-Stuyvesant in 6.2%, which means available rental housing is scarce in the neighborhood

· Roughly a third of households (32.4%) in Bedford-Stuyvesant make less than $18,540

· The median rent burden in Bedford-Stuyvesant is 33.8%--the federal “affordable housing” definition is a maximum of 30% of household income

Details

We are invited to join Habitat-NYC in rehabbing 8 green, affordable condominiums for families in a four-story, walk up building. Each condo will have two bedrooms and one bathroom. This project is a part of Habitat-NYC’s 100 Homes in Brooklyn initiative to improve this iconic neighborhood through both new construction and rehabilitation of affordable homes. The address to 836 Jefferson Ave is as follows:

836 Jefferson Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11221
(between Ralph and Patchen Aves)

Subway:
Take the J to Halsey St. Head northwest on Broadway and turn left onto Hancock St. Walk 3 blocks along Hancock. Turn right onto Ralph and then left onto Jefferson Ave. The construction site will be on the left at 836 Jefferson Ave.

The following link to our website contains important information for you as a volunteer http://habitatnyc.org...­. Please read everything. Each volunteer must submit a waiver form—see attached—on the day you volunteer. Please note that all volunteers must be 16 yrs. of age or older.

We put in a full day from 9:15am – 4:30pm (please do not arrive earlier than 9:15 am as you will not be able to enter the site until then.) VOLUNTEERS MUST WEAR LONG PANTS – NO SHORTS and NO SNEAKERS!! Also please wear closed toed hiking or work boots. Dress in layers and do not bring any valuables.