addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The New York City Mountain Bikers Meetup Group Message Board › Train Accessible Trails

Train Accessible Trails

Michael
user 4766810
New York, NY
Post #: 1
Ok, now that I am officially addicted to mountain biking, can someone tell me what trails I can get to by train? Even though I have no shame, I'd rather not have to beg rides off of people everytime I want to boogie in the dirt.

Thanks!

~D

"Tis better to have cycled and fallen then to never have cycled at all." - Willham Fakespeare
Nicole W
shatteredlens
New York, NY
Post #: 34
Hey Damon! Great idea for a post. I'm going to make this one a sticky since this is a useful topic. I only know of a few, and have never trained it myself, but this is a great place to discuss options. Here are some of the ones I know:

Blue Mountain
Stillwell
Hartshorne (actually a boat ride)

That should get you started. Even if your taking the train, doesn't hurt to have someone along. Safer in pairs.

See you out at future rides!
N
Peter
user 2934514
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Post #: 7
Ah, you whipper snappers......back in the old days of the group we used to go everywhere by train (uphill...both ways :-))

Click this link to see the info from our meetup Dec 30 2006 at Sprain Ridge
Train from Grand Central to Hastings on Hudson
Notice the link to a map showing how to get from the train station to the trailhead

Click this link to see the info from our meetup Jan 27th at Graham Hills
Train from Grand Central to Pleasantville, NY
Notice the link to a map showing how to get from the train station to the trailhead

-Peter
Eric
user 4022068
Stamford, CT
Post #: 4
Hey Damon, no more face plants please! I mastered that art a few years ago!

I agree on Nicole's point with regards to going in pairs. Of course that could just mean hooking up with an upstate dirt worshiper! Knowing someone with a car upstate who can meet you at the station always helps, gives you more options than flying solo.

With that said, I'll add in a few others - great rides with varying terrain and something different for those who have yet to cross the border into CT:

• Mianus River Park in Stamford, CT (One Hour train ride on New Haven Line)
  • Trumbull - this place is big, actually 3 parks that connect (take the New Haven Line to Bridgeport, CT)
  • Huntington (take New Haven Line - Danbury extension to Bethel, CT) -Great park but it is a long train ride
  • Of course I am ALWAYS willing to take someone on another Tour-de-Stewart (Newburgh, NY), just hop on the Hudson Line to Beacon.

Eric
user 4022068
Stamford, CT
Post #: 5
Here's info on getting to a few of those Westchester County, NY parks mentioned earlier:

http://www.wmba.org/M...­
Nicole W
shatteredlens
New York, NY
Post #: 35
Hey Eric,

what's the terrain like at some of those CT places? Are they closed for hunting season?
Michael
user 4766810
New York, NY
Post #: 2
"Hey Damon, no more face plants please! I mastered that art a few years ago!"

Eric, face plants are just my way of giving back to Mother Nature. You see, the oil from your face gets in the dirt and enriches the soil and...oh, nevermind. I'll try and stay in the saddle.

Thanks guys! So many trails! I think I'm going to shoot for Sprain Ridge this weekend. I don't think I'll have a problem hooking up with some folks as I plan to strap a six-pack to my handlebars.

Hey, how is important/necessary is one these: http://www.mta.info/l...­

As long as your bike isn't right in the middle of the aisle, do they care?[/
i]
[/
i]
A former member
Post #: 1
I've not ridden at Mianus (seriously?) but it gets good reviews.
Trumbull has a bit of everything, singletrack, doubletrack or freeride drops and jumps. I've really enjoyed the couple of rides I've done there.
Haven't heard anything about Huntington.

Not sure about hunting in CT.

Damon - You definitely need a bike permit, pick one up for $5 from window 27 at Grand Central.

Sprain is about 15-20 minutes from the Hastings station.
Graham is close to Pleasantville, but I've not taken the train there before only car.
Blue is about 10-15 minutes depending on whether you start off from Cortland or Peekskill.

I'll happily lead a ride at Blue in a few weeks when I've got a free weekend.
Eric
user 4022068
Stamford, CT
Post #: 6
Pequonnock Valley in Trumbull (Bridgeport station) - Hunting is allowed on Mon, Wed, Fri, and Sat. There is no hunting on the west side of the river, and in the very southern and northern parts of the east side of the river. Also there is no hunting in Old Mine (Park), either. I believe the hunting is small game only. No hunting on Sundays.

Mianus River Park (Stamford) - This place is a solid intermediate ride, with a mix of singletrack and fireroad, many rocky and rooty sections, obstacles including logs, etc. Good climbs and short downhills as well. It has two entrances, one in Stamford and one in Greenwich - and it is almost COMPLETELY surrounded by Mc-Mansions so I do not think hunting is allowed there, period. I've ridden here probably a couple dozen times this year so far. My first night ride will be tomorrow here.

(Collis P.) Hutington State Park (Bethel station) - This place is probably an hour and a half to two hours from the city, it has fireroads with singletrack branching off, a great place to get a quick workout in. One very technical, rocky trail (the newest trail recently carved by CT NEMBA), others are also challenging but not as technical. There are many park/trail users here including horseback riders so I'm not sure if they allow hunting.

You can train it, but you will have to know someone with a car who can meet you at the station, then take a (short) car ride from the station to these parks. Really too far to ride your bike from the station to the park.

I will verify hunting info soon and get back to you.
Eric
user 4022068
Stamford, CT
Post #: 7
I confirmed there is no hunting anywhere in CT on Sundays and no hunting ever in Huntington or Mianus River Park.

I'm still sorting out the details on Trumbull - from what I know they hunt Trumbull on Mon, Wed, Fri and Sat through approx. Christmas or New Years, but they don't hunt the "Old Mine" section of the park (I still don't know the Old Mine section vs. other parts).

You still need to know someone who can pick you up at the train station and drive you to these parks, a little too far to ride your bike!

I might be game just try to let me know at least a day or two in advance!