The New York City Mountain Bikers Meetup Group Message Board › Train Accessible Trails

Train Accessible Trails

A former member
Post #: 2
Here are the spots I've ridden via public transportation, in descending order starting with the easiest train-to-trail commute:

Graham Hills (Westchester- 1 mile from train to trails, on moderate hill)
Blue Mountain (Westchester- 2.5 miles from train to trails, one big hill)
Sprain Ridge (Westcester- 3 miles from train to trails, a couple hills)
Stillwell Woods (Nassau- part of the ride to trails is on high-speed 2-lane road with no shoulder)
Cannonball Trail (NJ- bus from port authority then easy flat pedal to trails)
Ringwood (NJ- NJ Transit train to Sloatsburg, then 4 mile road pedal with one very long climb)
Ninham (Putnam Co- train to "Northeast" then 6 miles over numerous hills and narrow 2-lane bridges)
Fahnestock (Putnam Co- train to Cold Spring then a climb that will make you regret ever deciding to make the trip ;) )

In addition, you can get to Stewart via bus then a 4-5 mile road pedal, Allamuchy is accessible via NJ Transit train then a short pedal, The Tourne in NJ is easily accessible via train, South Mountain in NJ would be super-easy to get to via train, if it were legal to ride there as it once was, Round Valley in NJ is right next to a train station, Glen Park in East Stroudsburg, PA is accessible via Martz bus that runs express from Port Authority to the Delaware Water gap, etc.

By far, the easiest train-to-trail trip is Graham Hills. The trails at Graham are tough but not as rough as Sprain or Blue Mountain, and the trip from train to the trail is very easy- it's a nice warm-up climb when you're fresh on the way in, and nearly all downhill once you're done riding and cruising back to the train. If you REALLY want to have some fun, hit up the Captain Lawrence Brewery in Pleasantville after the ride- it's about a quarter-mile south of the train station off Marble Ave- for free "samples." Then buy some beer, and enjoy it on the train during your ride home... ;)
A former member
Hey Eric,

what's the terrain like at some of those CT places? Are they closed for hunting season?

Sorry to jump in...

Don't know about hunting, but the terrain is - in general - head and shoulders above anything you'll find in NJ/Westchester. The climbing is generally minimal, but... suffice to say that while Trumbull only has about 11 miles or so of trails, it'll take you 4 hours to ride it all and you'll feel like you rode 30. Of the rides in the area, the only places I've ridden that come close are: Mahlon Dickerson (all three loops), Round Valley (without the climbing), and Blue Mountain (on some of the new singletrack like My Favorite Trail and MixMonster). Even at Huntington, while a lot of it is fire road, there is some surprisingly technical stuff just off the beaten path.

Tai
Michael V.
user 5294625
Glen Cove, NY
Here's a guide I put together from info I glommed off the internet.

Trains to trails:

http://www.climbonlin...­

Here is a link to our forum where you can get info on most trails in the area:

http://www.climbonlin...­
Peter
user 2934514
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Post #: 10
Here are the spots I've ridden via public transportation, in descending order starting with the easiest train-to-trail commute:

Graham Hills (Westchester- 1 mile from train to trails, on moderate hill)
Blue Mountain (Westchester- 2.5 miles from train to trails, one big hill)
Sprain Ridge (Westcester- 3 miles from train to trails, a couple hills)
Stillwell Woods (Nassau- part of the ride to trails is on high-speed 2-lane road with no shoulder)
Cannonball Trail (NJ- bus from port authority then easy flat pedal to trails)
Ringwood (NJ- NJ Transit train to Sloatsburg, then 4 mile road pedal with one very long climb)
Ninham (Putnam Co- train to "Northeast" then 6 miles over numerous hills and narrow 2-lane bridges)
Fahnestock (Putnam Co- train to Cold Spring then a climb that will make you regret ever deciding to make the trip ;) )
/quote]

Hey Jamie, I've never considered taking the bus, do they all have a place to take your bike?

-Peter
Kim
MilberkyVolkas
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 3

Mianus River Park (Stamford) - This place is a solid intermediate ride, with a mix of singletrack and fireroad, many rocky and rooty sections, obstacles including logs, etc. Good climbs and short downhills as well. It has two entrances, one in Stamford and one in Greenwich - and it is almost COMPLETELY surrounded by Mc-Mansions so I do not think hunting is allowed there, period. I've ridden here probably a couple dozen times this year so far. My first night ride will be tomorrow here.

You can train it, but you will have to know someone with a car who can meet you at the station, then take a (short) car ride from the station to these parks. Really too far to ride your bike from the station to the park.

Hi, I mapped out the street miles from the Stamford Metro North station to Mianus River Park and Mapmyride caulculated it at just under 4 miles to the Stamford trailhead. Is there any reason you suggest a car pick up at the station, other than 4 miles being an unattractive warm up ride. If I can put in that much for my commute to work, it's the least I could do for a decent ride.

Also, thank you everyone for all this information. Very helpful :)

Kim