The NYC Vinyl Meetup Message Board › Are record clubs the new book clubs?

Are record clubs the new book clubs?

Matt Trush
matt.trush
Brooklyn, NY
Send an Email Post a Greeting
Special thanks to our newest member, Domenic, for pointing out this article about:

Are record clubs the new book clubs

Basic premise is an ongoing Meetup where we all come together to listen to one album all the way through. No phones, no texting, no talking.  A brief intro before and brief discussion after. That's it.

Been thinking about an ongoing Meetup for the group and this sounds perfect.

What we'll need

Space - I have a space for us to do this (Meetup has extra office space I can use). Has plenty of room, couches, bathroom, fridge, etc.

Audio Equipment - Would need to figure out getting / borrowing a turntable and speakers.

Thoughts? If anyone wants to help get this going, please reply!

I'll get a "planning Meetup" together so we can get this off the ground.

Thanks again Dominic! This is going to be awesome.

- Matt

---

http://www.bbc.co.uk/...­
David La Cross
DavidLaCross
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 3
What we'll need

Space - I have a space for us to do this (Meetup has extra office space I can use). Has plenty of room, couches, bathroom, fridge, etc.

Audio Equipment - Would need to figure out getting / borrowing a turntable and speakers.

This is something I'd be into. Moving my turntable is not the most enticing idea, but I have a pretty rugged Crown D45 amp with integrated volume controls that I could lug over. It's only 25WPC, though, so the speakers we use would have to be reasonably efficient.

Keep me posted!

-Davidd
A former member
Post #: 2
I would definitely be involved in this... Its a great idea and Not even hard to do minus the equipment because that might be an issue. I love the idea.
A former member
If this gets off the ground, I'll be able to supply interconnects/cables for the turntable and phonostage or preamp if necessary. I have tons of cables in varying lengths.
Jessica McHugh
JessMcNYC
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 2
I'm kind of green in the world of vinyl so this sounds like the absolute greatest idea in the world to me.

My turntable is brand new. In fact I haven't even used it yet because I don't have a speaker system for it. I'd love to christen it with a bunch of vinyl lovers. It's extremely light weight, I wouldn't mind transporting it.

So I'm in :)
Matt Trush
matt.trush
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 19
Any ideas on how to get turntable, receiver and speakers?

I have two:

1: Sponsor? Perhaps we can get a store to sponsor us and give us use of equipment for the Meetups. Shot a note over to Cosmos at Stereo Exchange to see if there's anything we can work out with them.

2: Buy? We could buy "community" equipment / share costs among attendees. Would prefer to keep this group free but something entry-level could still add up. What's the most basic setup that doesn't completely suck / bankrupt us?

Maybe we start with whatever equipment we can pull together. I'd be willing to front the turntable cost if we can get the other pieces...

- Matt
Jessica McHugh
JessMcNYC
Brooklyn, NY
Since I don't have a speaker system yet and my poor turntable is just collecting dust on my desk at home, I wouldn't mind temporarily donating it. At least bringing it for the first meeting, until we get one permanently.

Like I said, it's really light weight and easy to transport, so I don't mind whatsoever bringing it in.
Matt Trush
matt.trush
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 20
Awesome! What kind of turntable do you have?
Jessica McHugh
JessMcNYC
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 4
It's an Ion Profile LP, I believe. http://www.ionaudio.c...­. :)
David La Cross
DavidLaCross
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 4
Any ideas on how to get turntable, receiver and speakers?

2: Buy? We could buy "community" equipment / share costs among attendees.

- Matt

I might be into this...where would you suggest everything lives? I think this solution only works if the equipment has at least a semi-permanent home (i.e. maybe moves every couple months, but setting up/tearing down, getting out of storage, etc seems like it could get old really fast).

-David