Napa Valley Insight Meditation Message Board › Gratitute: Reading for April 10th NVMG meeting

Gratitute: Reading for April 10th NVMG meeting

Forrest H.
user 33431512
Group Organizer
Napa, CA
Dear Sangha,

This Wednesday the topic of our discussion is the role that gratitude plays in creating a joyful heart. By incorporating a gratitude practice into our lives, we can begin to interrupt those voices that tell us my life should (or could ) be better, and become more present to the life we have. Gratitude helps us to appreciate and build on what’s good in our life right now, and gives us the wisdom to develop a positive vision for the future.

The reading for the discussion will focus on the following sections of the 3rd Chapter of the Awakening Joy book:

Strengthening Your Gratitude Muscle (page 75)
The Gratitude Perspective (page 76)
Scattering Gratitude With Joy (page 78)

You can download a copy of the reading by clicking on the link below:

One of the exercises in chapter 3 that I really like is the practice of reminding ourselves that our lives are very blessed. As Baraz put it,” Each time you find yourself worrying or complaining, try adding…and my life is really blessed. It’s amazing how this simple phase can reorient our negative thoughts to more wholesome ways of seeing the world. There is a great (and funny) example of the power of this exercise in a youtube video entitled Confessions of a Jewish Mother, How my Son Ruined my Life. Here’s the Link (enjoy):­

For our discussion, you are invited to share the role that gratitude plays in your life and any practices you may have that help you to strengthen your gratitude “muscle” (so to speak).

I look forward to seeing you on Wednesday.