add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Napa Valley Insight Meditation Message Board › Arinna Weisman: Tuesday June 10th

Arinna Weisman: Tuesday June 10th

Forrest H.
user 33431512
Group Organizer
Napa, CA
Dear Sangha,

I’m writing you a little bit early this week to remind you that Arinna Weisman will be our guest speaker next Tuesday (June 10th). I’ve had the privilege of attending several residential retreats lead by Arinna and I consider her to be one of my core teachers. She has such an amazing heart. I hope all of you can attend this week’s meditation session to hear her speak.

Below is a link to a flyer advertising Arinna’s Appearance. If you have some time this weekend and could put up a flyer or two advertising her talk at your work, favorite yoga studio, church, synagogue, coffee shop, holistic practitioner, school, etc., it would be greatly appreciated.

Arinna is going to speak on what she calls “Bearing Witness to Ourselves and the World.” She says the idea for the talk was inspired by a quote from poet Naomi Shihab Nye:

Before you know kindness as the deepest thing inside
You must know sorrow as the other deepest thing.

Arinna adds, “Often when we turn towards ourselves or what is happening in the world we feel overwhelmed, depressed or shut down. We feel isolated even when we are not alone or dislocated even though we know where we are living.”

“There is a path to healing described by Buddha as the three refuges with Sangha or our community of practitioners being the third. Martin Luther King calls it the beloved community. Coming together to bear witness to our sorrows and kindness as community becomes the conditions for transformation and love.”

In a similar vein, she writes in her most recent newsletter the following:

When we find ourselves having a hard time, we are often confused into believing that it is the content of the difficulty that is the problem; a difficult meeting, fighting with our children, partners, parents, supervisors or obsessions with a work project. When we are caught, it means there is no mindfulness in the mind. Because of this we are moved into distorted behaviors such as addictions, rage, never ending flow of judgments or constant criticism. It can be excruciating to turn towards these energies and hold them with caring. It takes an amazing heart to open to these with compassion, and sometimes we find we are unable to open.

The practice of forgiveness is a wonderful path back into friendship with ourselves and others. Here are two phrases that support us towards unburdening our hearts:

May I allow myself to be a student of life and to continue to learn.

May I allow myself to be imperfect and make mistakes.

May we really allow ourselves to be students learning repeatedly and constantly, over and over again, what seems to be the same lesson: may we forgive ourselves.

As Galway Kinnell invites us,
'...sometimes it is necessary to reteach a thing its loveliness'

You can learn more about Arinna by visiting her website: http://arinnaweisman....­

I hope to see you on Tuesday. Feel free to bring a friend(s).

With metta-