Napa Valley Insight Meditation Message Board › Practicing Like A Naturalist: Short reading for the Tuesday Feb. 11 NVMG Meeting

Practicing Like A Naturalist: Short reading for the Tuesday Feb. 11 NVMG Meeting

Lori S.
user 80216972
Napa, CA
Post #: 1
Dear Sangha,

With inspiration from a short essay by Gil Frondsdal entitled “Being a Naturalist”, we will focus our discussion this week on the experience of approaching our practice like a naturalist.

Gil’s short essay can be found here:
http://www.insightmed...­

Please bring a copy of the reading with you on Tuesday.

If it speaks to you, I invite you to spend the next few days practicing imagining yourself as a naturalist observing the wild just exactly as it is. If the naturalist hat feels too serious, you can play with viewing through the eyes of a child or other perspective that invites you to see life directly. (Having fun with this is allowed!) Bring whatever measure of curiosity and non-judgment is available to your daily life tasks— driving in traffic, listening to sounds, witnessing what’s going on around you as you stand in line at the supermarket, meeting with your boss or colleagues, experiencing the ebb and flow of emotions and sensations in your body, eating, sitting, meditating, etc. Notice what it feels like to view life through this lens. Notice any insights that arise for you.

In my own practice I have found nothing of greater significance than my intention to bring kind, non-judgmental awareness to my experience, that I may see things as they really are.

Looking forward to Tuesday,
Metta,
Lori