Naperville Freaks, Geeks, and Weirdos Message Board › Miniature Painting, anyone?

Miniature Painting, anyone?

Matthew
user 9192339
Batavia, IL
Post #: 35
I'll try to remember to bring the minis along to the 13th Age game this weekend.

Matt.
Brian S.
Djbjb00
Woodridge, IL
Post #: 60
I still want to learn how to paint mini's properly, so count me in.
Tiara L.
tiarala
Brookfield, IL
Post #: 2
I'm super interested in this. The only time I ever get to paint is at GenCon's paint-n-take! I don't have supplies but I'd be happy to contribute to anyone willing to let me use their paints. (I'll buy my own set of brushes).
Ed S
Edintheburbs
Round Lake, IL
Post #: 314
I have a ton of paint and extra brushes. I wouldn't buy anything yet if you want to give it a spin first as I think we have the supply list covered. But if you want a set for home, that would be a different thing.
Sarah
user 47838212
Woodridge, IL
Post #: 74
Good news / bad news. Bad news is that the spare minis that Matt generously offered to donate for learning how to paint disappeared into the same void that eats socks in the laundry. The good news is that the Reaper Bones collection will be available in stores soon. The Bones line is significantly cheaper than standard metal miniatures since it is made out of plastic instead, but they retain the same great level of detail as their metal counterparts. Even better, Reaper Bones miniatures do not need to be primed at all, so you can literally take them out of a package and start painting. I know that Fair Game ordered a a retail store package that should be arriving in upcoming weeks. Games Plus is also bound to carry them. Not sure about Wandering Dragon or Game Knight. Reaper is shipping out the Dark Haven Bones miniatures starting later this month so hopefully you'll see it in stores soon.

I'm trying to find some time the busy Meetup schedule to set up our first mini painting meetup. This month has more board game and RPG events scheduled than normal (we scheduled open gaming twice a few days before TableTop Day was announced, oops!) Hopefully I'll get something planned soon for everyone interested. Thanks for your patience.
Sarah
user 47838212
Woodridge, IL
Post #: 75
Matt found the miniature box and generously donated 50+ minis for anyone in the group interested in painting! Thank you so much Matt! A good bit of the minis are slightly smaller in scale than modern minis and I recognized a few from the '70s. Since the miniatures are metal, I am going to need some time to prime them all to get them ready for paint. Before that I need to assemble a few, clean them up, and file down any mold lines. Last night I organized all the minis by type (casters, orcs, fighters, archers, etc) and fixed a handful that had a limb or weapon fall off. They should be ready by the time we get together for a miniature painting meetup.

Speaking of - Give me another day or two to sort out my schedule for April and I'll get back to everyone on when our first miniature painting meetup event will be. It'll likely be April 6th, 7th, or 14th. March is looking very busy already and I doubt I would have the minis ready by then.
Brian P.
user 86271152
Carol Stream, IL
Post #: 1
I love painting minis, and I can't wait for my Bones to come in. I have been painting minis since 2002 and I can help people with certain tricks to get stuff done quick and painlessly. I am always stoked for painting groups... can get totally bored with just me, my models, a brush and silence.
Sarah
user 47838212
Woodridge, IL
Post #: 82
Sorry for the delay on this folks. Reaper Minis likely won't hit stores until mid or late May, so I'm working on setting up a "Paint & Take" meetup at my apartment soon. Once Reaper Minis hit stores I'll touch base with Fair Game again to see if they will be hosting mini painting events in store. Keep an eye out for a Meetup event soon.

Matthew
user 9192339
Batavia, IL
Post #: 49
A good bit of the minis are slightly smaller in scale than modern minis and I recognized a few from the '70s.

I believe most of those are old Grenadier minis (all non-lead, by the way)... they were always some of my favorites. If you look around, you can still find miniature companies that recast them.
Sarah
user 47838212
Woodridge, IL
Post #: 92
Reaper just delayed Bones shipment by another six weeks minimum. The bulk of the orders are waiting on the final shipment from China which takes about five weeks to ship and will not be shipped for at least another week. I don't know how much longer beyond that it will take for Reaper to ship all the orders out to all the KS backers, but the bulk of orders are waiting on that final shipment. Retail stores will not be receiving their Bones retail package until after all individual backers receive their orders. In short, no Bones for awhile. :(