Naperville Freaks, Geeks, and Weirdos Message Board › Miniature Painting, anyone?

Miniature Painting, anyone?

Sarah
user 47838212
Woodridge, IL
Post #: 5
Any other miniature painting hobbyists out there, or anyone interested in starting it as a hobby? If there's enough interest, I'd love to organize or participate in group painting sessions. I just started painting minis this past February and have some free time this summer to pick the hobby back up again. I use Reaper Master Series Paints, but if you're new some cheap acrylic paint from craft stores is a good place to start without hurting your wallet. I also own the Hot Lead Miniature Painting DVDs that we could watch while painting: http://hot-lead.org/d...­

If you're interested please respond with how long you've been painting minis, what paints you use, and your availability. Hoping we have some crafty geeks out there!
Brian S.
Djbjb00
Woodridge, IL
Post #: 48
I made it from the wait list to the going list for Saturday. I'm going to bring a game with me that features minatures. I want to start painting them one day, but I'm a complete noob!
-Brian
Katrina R.
kat.rue
Naperville, IL
Post #: 17
I'm more than happy to offer any of my paints if anyone needs them.
Sarah
user 47838212
Woodridge, IL
Post #: 64
Giving this a /bump to see if there's any new interest in miniature painting.

Next month I'll be getting 250 new miniatures (Bones Kickstarter!) so I need to get back into the swing of painting again. I need to get much better at speed painting if I ever want to have a hope of painting all the minis I own.

Just bring your paint and minis and we'll find a place. Anyone in?

Ed S
Edintheburbs
Round Lake, IL
Post #: 311
I Kickstarted the Reaper minis as well. I consider myself an amateur though I have painted miniatures on and off for awhile. Just never consistently or to a degree where I would say I gained any skill in it. I would be up for painting these miniatures with a group.
Sarah
user 47838212
Woodridge, IL
Post #: 65
I talked to Eric who works at Fair Game tonight because he was painting minis when we stopped in for open gaming. He mentioned they might try to have a miniature painting event biweekly or monthly in the store once the Reaper Bones store set arrives. More information to come. I don't know if any of the other local stores offer miniature painting get together events. It's a good way to exchange tips and get feedback. If you wanted to get together before Bones arrives let me know and I can try to figure something out.
Ed S
Edintheburbs
Round Lake, IL
Post #: 312
Sure, I would be game for it but really could only do it on a weekend.
Matthew
user 9192339
Batavia, IL
Post #: 34
Wow. It's been a LONG time since I painted minis. I'm not sure if I currently have the time, interest or money to get back into it, but...

I have a HUGE pile of unpainted minis at home that got left behind years ago by a gamer I played with, and who never came back to claim them. I don't need them, I don't use them, and they're just taking up space in my closet... I'd be willing to donate them to anyone who wants to practice painting.

Matt.
Sarah
user 47838212
Woodridge, IL
Post #: 67
Sent an email. Would be happy to bring that box to any painting events we hold. I think it would definitely get more people interested if they didn't need to drop a lot of money into the hobby before trying it for the first time. It does get to be a very expensive hobby, but a lot of fun for crafty geeks.

Katrina currently has my copy of 'Hot Lead', a good painting tutorial DVD, but when she's done anyone else is welcome to borrow it.

Also, if anyone wants to try mini painting for the first time, cheap Acrylic paints from a hobby store like Micheals or Blick will work. However, if you are serious about the hobby definitely invest in some good quality paints like Reaper MSP, Army Painter, Vallejo Game Color, etc. The higher quality paints run for $3+ a bottle, but they go on smoother, blends better without getting milky, and do not chip off like cheap craft store paint does. Plus bottles won't dry out like the plastic snap cap containers of craft store paint. You can still accomplish a great paint job though with cheap Acrylic paint.
Ed S
Edintheburbs
Round Lake, IL
Post #: 313
I have a bunch of cheap paint that I can lend to the cause if people just want to give it a try. Also have some cheap brushes. I guess if we setup a definite event, I can bring these supplies.