Naperville Freaks, Geeks, and Weirdos Message Board › Genesis: Setting generation rpg needs playtesters!

Genesis: Setting generation rpg needs playtesters!

A former member
Post #: 216
Hey folks! Besides being a freak, geek, and weirdo, I'm a game designer. I've come up with a new game and need some help playtesting it. The working title is Genesis and it's a setting generation roleplaying game. Curious? Here's some details:

• If you like Game of Thrones, and you like writing, this game is for you!
  • We will play entirely online through emails and a wiki. No need to coordinate everyone's schedule!
  • You will control a noble House, and each turn, you will attack your rivals and defend against their attacks.
  • The setting is bare bones because we will be creating the setting as we play!
  • Rules are simple: Roll d100 below your attribute. No hit points, no skills, just roll and play!
  • If you succeed, you get to write a short piece about your victory--this helps design the setting!
  • Rounds can last a few days or even a week or more but there's minimal time requirements. The game works around your schedule, not vice versa!

Genesis is based on a modified version of the Lexicon game rules but has roleplaying elements to it. I'm calling it a setting generation game because you can play Genesis to flesh out the details of a setting for a rpg, even if the setting is mostly created already. As we play Genesis, we will create NPCs, locations, traditions, faiths, battles, and history for a fantasy setting. This is as much an exercise in creativity as it is a game.

Right now, I'm looking for 5-7 players. Again, this is completely online--we share our plans, rolls, and writing via email and a wiki hosted on Obsidian Portal. We'll keep things fluid, starting new rounds when everyone is ready. This is a playtest, so we might find broken rules or whatnot--but since it's my game, we can fix it instantly!

If you'd like to help, thanks! Either reply here or send me an email (wjmacguffin at gmail). The same goes for any question y'all might have.

Well, what are you waiting for? This fantasy setting won't generate itself!
Matthew
user 9192339
Batavia, IL
Post #: 48
I'll give it a shot.
A former member
Post #: 219
Thanks for joining us! I shared the rulebook with you; let me know if there's any issues.

Any others?
A former member
Post #: 123
I'm interested. When do you plan on starting, and how long do you think the it will last.

Thanks
A former member
Post #: 220
Send me an email (wjmacguffin at gmail) and I'll set you up. Thanks!
A former member
Post #: 124
Sorry this fail between the cracks. I don't think I am going to be able to help out after all. Sorry
A former member
Post #: 222
No problem. If you change your mind, or you're just curious, I've got two links for you.

Here's the link to the playtest site. It has the turns completed and the setting details as written by players.

This is a link to the playtest rules document. It's rather bare bones, but it gives an idea of how to play the game.