add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Naples Fort Myers Area Preppers Message Board › Ham Radio

Ham Radio

This message board is read-only.

Tom M
user 45905232
Fort Myers, FL
Post #: 12
A source for information on Ham Radio. How to become a Ham and general Q&A topics about operation and equipment.
Tom M
user 45905232
Fort Myers, FL
Post #: 13
Here is a link to info on Ham Repeaters...and a lot more.

Tom M
user 45905232
Fort Myers, FL
Post #: 14
Fort Myers Amateur Radio Club website:­

Tom M
user 45905232
Fort Myers, FL
Post #: 15
Link to ARRL..(Amateur Radio Relay League )­
Tom M
user 45905232
Fort Myers, FL
Post #: 16
An excerpt from http://www.radiosurvi...­ regarding licensing. There is a lot of info on this site !!

An amateur radio license is required if you are going to be operating on the amateur (ham) bands. No license is required to operate a shortwave receivers in the United States. Unlike some countries that require amateur radio operators to participate in various shortwave activities before being allowed to apply for an amateur radio license.

You may wonder why a survivalist would bother getting an amateur radio license when they can just run unlicensed. The simple fact of it is that having a license will allow a survivalist an opportunity to fine tune their operating skills as well as learn all they can about antenna systems.

Below is an article from the American Radio Relay League:

Where do I start?
Amateur Radio is regulated by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) under the Communications Act of 1934. It is also subject to numerous international agreements. All Amateur Radio operators must be licensed. In the U.S. there are three license classes. Each successive level of license comes with an expansion of privileges. Your entry into Amateur Radio begins with a Technician Class License.

Earning each license requires passing an examination. Although regulated by the FCC, license exams are given by volunteer groups of Amateur Radio operators. Operating under organizations called Volunteer Examiner Coordinators, volunteers administer and grade tests and report results to the FCC, which then issues the license. U.S. licenses are good for 10 years before renewal, and anyone may hold one except a representative of a foreign government.

What Amateur Radio licenses are available?
Technician Class License. You can get an entry level Amateur Radio Technician license by passing a 35-question multiple-choice examination. No Morse code test is required. The exam covers basic regulations, operating practices, and electronics theory, with a focus on VHF and UHF applications.

Technician Class operators are authorized to use all amateur VHF and UHF frequencies (all frequencies above 50 MHz). Technicians also may operate on the 80, 40, and 15 meter HF bands using Morse code, and on the 10 meter band using Morse code, voice, and digital modes. No Morse code test is required.

General Class License. The General Class license offers a giant step up in operating privileges. The high-power HF privileges granted to General licensees allow for cross-country and worldwide communication.

Technicians may upgrade to General by passing a 35-question multiple-choice examination. The written exam covers intermediate regulations, operating practices, and electronics theory, with a focus on HF applications. You must successfully pass the Technician exam to be eligible to sit for the General class exam. No Morse code test is required.

In addition to the Technician privileges, General Class operators are authorized to operate on any frequency in the 160, 30, 17, 12, and 10 meter bands. They may also use significant segments of the 80, 40, 20, and 15 meter bands.

Amateur Extra Class License. The HF bands can be awfully crowded, particularly at the top of the solar cycle. Once you earn HF privileges, you may quickly yearn for more room. The Extra Class license is the answer. Extra Class licensees are authorized to operate on all frequencies allocated to the Amateur Service.

General licensees may upgrade to Extra Class by passing a 50-question multiple-choice examination. No Morse code test is required. In addition to some of the more obscure regulations, the test covers specialized operating practices, advanced electronics theory, and radio equipment design.

Tom M
user 45905232
Fort Myers, FL
Post #: 17
This is a link to the FMARC newsletter. Check the write-up on the upcoming "Field Day"....this is a 24 hr "practice" emergency situation. We set up several stations with various antennas, and operate on Emergency power ( generator or solar) to contact as many stations all over the U.S.. The "GOTA" station mentioned is a "Get On The Air" station to allow non hams and "newbies" a chance to operate a HF radio.­
A former member
Post #: 6
Hey Tom,

I can't seem to load the FMARC site at­. I've tried several times. It would appear that the site is down. Can you confirm or double check?

~ Roshan
A former member
Post #: 49
To all those that signed up for the hand held radios.

I evidently was not very good at deciphering everyone's printing. If everyone could send me a e-mail at it would give me a better handle on the address problem. Those who have not received a recent e-mail from me, regarding a price update (but did sign up) are ones I had trouble deternining the address to send to.

Hi Tom, I guess this was something discussed at the last meeting. Could you send me info on the hand helds also.

user 9391525
Naples, FL
Post #: 10
Tom, I got your email, so you have my address correct. Do you want an email from me?
A former member
Post #: 2
Fantastic job and thanks for the hard work. Let me know the particulars on payments. I may consider getting one for my wife at the same time.