Nashville Backpacker Meetup Message Board › Lightweight Backpacking Class at Cohn Community Education Center - Nashville, TN

Lightweight Backpacking Class at Cohn Community Education Center - Nashville, TN

Al B.
user 8245284
Nashville, TN
Post #: 1
In an un-varnished attempt at blatant self-promotionwink, I'd like to make the Backpacker MeetUp members aware of a class I'm hosting on Lightweigt Backpacking at the Cohn Center in Nashville this spring.

Starting on February 28, 2011, the class will be held for 8 weeks on Mondays from 6:30 PM to 8:00 PM. I'll cover the basics of gear, technique and resources, with an emphasis on inexpensive approaches to getting outdoors.

Having hiked more than 700 miles on the Appalachian Trail and backpacked in the Rockies, Olympic National Forest and elsewhere, I'll share my experience with tenting, tarping and hammocking, along with "do it yourself" and "do it cheaply" methods to getting outfitted for backpacking.

The cost of the class is $40.00. You can register by contacting Phillip Stoecklein, Coordinator for the Cohn Center at CohnCEC@gmail.com or calling him at 615-298-8050.

I hope to see some of you at the class. It should be a great time!

Al "FishBone" Baran

Raymond M.
Raymond.Myers
Group Organizer
Nashville, TN
Post #: 23
Oh, go ahead and varnish away, FishBone!!! LOL Sounds as if it'll be a great class. If you need a class dummy for any of the classes, let me know, as long as no mouth-to-mouth CPR first-aid demonstration is involved! LOL Could you please explain what the Cohn Center is? I don't know and suspect others may not, either. Raymond 'Rain Man' Myers

P.S. I have hiked with Al and can vouch he knows his stuff and will be a GREAT teacher! Two Big Thumbs Up on this project.
Al B.
user 8245284
Nashville, TN
Post #: 2
Thanks for the endorsement, Rain Man.

The Cohn Center is operated by the Metro Nashville School System and is an adult learning center on 48th and Charlotte Ave. Pottery, fencing (sport, not theft), computer operation, etc. A catalog is available from the coordinator who I listed in the first post.

Minimum enrollment needed to hold the class is 5 students; I hope there's sufficient interest.

I hadn't thought about an assistant, but maybe you could provide an example of what NOT to carry, wear, etc. You know, 60+ lb. pack, cotton jeans, full-sized ax, flat-screen tv, etc. I'll have to consider that!biggrin

Al "FishBone" Baran
Scott
sbrambo
Murfreesboro, TN
Post #: 1
I'm planning on being there tonight.

Scott