addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Nashville Backpacker Meetup Message Board › Need some help buying a hammock

Need some help buying a hammock

A former member
Post #: 1
What can you tell me about what hammock brand to purchase. Since I've never camped using a hammock. Not sure this is for me????
Al B.
user 8245284
Nashville, TN
Post #: 29
See http://www.hammockfor...­ for the most comprehensive (a.k.a. overwhelming) guide to hammock camping. Great resource, but a lot to wade through. I've got a Hennessy Backpacker and others. Many brands others like, too. "Neo" hosts a "hang-out" at Meriwether Lewis campground along the Natchez Trace Parkway in spring and fall. Great group of "hangers" to learn a lot from. He lists the outings on

Caution: hammock hanging can be hazardous to your wallet!
Raymond M.
Group Organizer
Nashville, TN
Post #: 29
I agree with Al. Get familiar with Hammock Forums. In the meantime, several of us have hammocks and you could borrow to try out hammock hanging in general and different brands in particular.

An issue at this time of year is bottom warmth, since hanging up in the air means you have to do something extra to keep your bottom side warm. In the summer, the coolness can be a bonus!

Rain Man

Bryon S.
user 13226919
Camden, TN
Post #: 4
What the others have said is right on the money. Hammock Forums helped me out a lot.
I have a Warbonnet Black Bird and a Big Mambajamba tarp with doors.
Rainman is right, a underquilt is needed for winter hanging.
Good luck with your quest for knowledge.