addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

WordPress Nashville Message Board › Developer Meetup for Feb - Suggestions Anyone!!!

Developer Meetup for Feb - Suggestions Anyone!!!

Randy H.
randy-hicks
Nashville, TN
Post #: 21
Over the last few months I feel like more of the local dev community is starting to come out of the cave and I think we are finally at a number where we can do an official Developer meetup.

What does developer meetup mean?
I would consider this a meetup for anyone that is actively learning how to build themes or plugins for WordPress. I think it's very important to feel comfortable looking at php and be somewhat proficient with html and css. I think most of us who are interested are well versed in these and more. However, I know there is a crowed of those who are just getting started.

If you feel your new to php, html & css but want to get a better understanding, then you should definitely come. However, if you are just coming to get help with your wp-admin settings this may not be the place for you.

Presentation
I would like to have a presenter open up with at least a 20 min presentation on a topic specifically focused on theme/plugin development, In-depth multisite or code concepts. Then we do some Q&A for the rest of the hour.

Location & Date
I think this meetup may be better done at CoLab than our new location. I would rather not burn out our new sponsor with tech talk. I'm not sure what our available hours are at CoLab, but I know a few of you work there from time to time so I think once we have a topic we can pick a day and time.

Discussion
I would like to keep this discussion on the forms so that the rest of the dev community can see what we are doing. I would rather use email, but then know one will know what we are planning.

Lets Here your thought
Please don't be afraid to shoot down my ideas and offer your own!!! Seriously lets talk shop!
A former member
Post #: 1
I'll throw my hat in the ring. My proposed talk would cover the process of using OOP techniques when building plugins. It will cover common pitfalls and gotchas that you'll undoubtedly come across, as well as various tricks and techniques that you can use.
Randy H.
randy-hicks
Nashville, TN
Post #: 22
That's my vote. Since moving to oop structure I've cut my base dev time in half, but am now wondering if my would really fly in a public theme...
Liz F.
lizfulghum
Nashville, TN
Sweet, I think it's a great idea. I can promise I can drag at least one other person out to it.

I'd be happy to talk some about multi-site (well, at least our experiences with it). We use it for internal development and are in the process of deploying our first big franchise project using MU to create local sites.

Other topics I think would be good fodder:

- Tips & tricks and a run down for developing theme option panels.
- Responsive design frameworks & WordPress
- Anything on plugin development (about which I know nothing!)
- Customizing client experience on the back-end (custom log-in pages, customized admin panels).
Kenneth W.
user 12522497
Nashville, TN
Sign me up! I could give a breakdown of the Google Font Loader and Typekit... a best practices on coding and loading around font events versus enqueue.
Beth D.
user 22315611
Nashville, TN
Post #: 2
count me in -- this sounds fantastic. I'm very interested.
Randy H.
randy-hicks
Nashville, TN
Post #: 23
I like the topics Liz proposed:
- Tips & tricks and a run down for developing theme option panels.
- Responsive design frameworks & WordPress
- Anything on plugin development (about which I know nothing!)
- Customizing client experience on the back-end (custom log-in pages, customized admin panels).

How about we do a combination. Customizing options panels that use a class.
Something like this could easily be ported to a theme or a plugin and has various uses through out a site.

Liz, are you guys using domain mapping for the multisite install? I've heard Jeff Lee has done some significant work with multisite as well. I've done a little, installation and enough file work to learn the basics of what can be done. It's been about 9months now so it's fading..

Day & Location
How does a thursday work for people? The 9th, 16th or 23rd of Feb, around 6pm or 7pm @CoLab. I know parking down at CoLab can be tough, but we don't need to be supervised there so I it would be a better location for us. For those of you who are going to be driving a longer distance, please chime in on your preferred day and time. I want to make sure we try to accommodate for as many people as we can.
Cal E.
cal
Jupiter, FL
I love the idea and the topics proposed. Actually, my only problem with it is CoLab. I usually end up parking in the garage and that's expensive. :(

Any of the dates work just fine though.

=C=
Randy H.
randy-hicks
Nashville, TN
Post #: 24
Cal Evans, we would be open to another location. I would do it at our other location, but I don't want to over use it. Does anyone have any location suggestions outside of CoLab?

Personally I've never had a problem finding parking, I think I may have been lucky.
Randy H.
randy-hicks
Nashville, TN
Post #: 25
Does anyone actually get these messages? I think this message board is retarded...

How would people feel a about Google Groups?