Nature Studies Message Board › Stinging Nettle Tea - green or red?

Stinging Nettle Tea - green or red?

Linda M.
kotodama
Glenside, PA
Post #: 12
I made two different batches of stinging nettle tea, which I picked from two different places in Ft Washington State park.

The first tea I made was green, and has been turning a darker green in the glass jar in the refrigerator. I collected it in an area between a grassy field and a 'wetland mitigation' area. And also there's a very large evergreen tree near it.

The second tea I made was red, and I haven't had it in the refrigerator long enough to know if it'll deepen in color. I collected it from an area which might flood - it is closer to the river of the same mitigation area, but on the other side of the river. I think these might be getting more direct sun, but I'm not sure.

When you've prepared nettle tea, what color has it been?

I cut the top few inches of the plants, chopped them with scissors, and boiled for over 10 minutes. Poured through a strainer into a separate pot. Same basic method for both batches, possibly longer boiling time on the first batch...

Can anyone explain the color difference? I've been searching around and I haven't seen an explanation yet.

thanks!
Linda