add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Nature Studies Message Board › Campout weekend 11/16,17,18

Campout weekend 11/16,17,18

user 11779842
Group Organizer
Ardmore, PA
Guess I should read my email more often. As you may have noticed our weekend skill share and camp-out at French Creek was moved as the campground was filled up.We will be at a private camp owned by the Civil Air Patrol adjacent to the Hawk Mountain sanctuary and the Appalachian Trail. This is where Brian and I had a skill-share meetup a couple of months ago. It is a little farther from Philly but it has a number of important advantages.

We will have a 100 acre camp to ourselves, so no rowdy neighbors making noise at 2am. There is Plenty of space. As we forage we can pick what we find and prepare it back at camp.  As they routinely do search and rescue classes there, there are open roofed structures with benches, tables, and marking boards for organizing the days events and for teaching. We can practice all sorts of skills even in case of nasty weather. There are plenty of toilets, potable water, and the parking area is close to the camp. Hawk Mountain is right there, the view from the cliff is magnificent, and it is still migratory season for the Hawks, Eagles and other raptors; an annual nature lover's treat. But, in my humble opinion, the woods themselves are reason enough to go. French Creek which is a relatively young stand of wood, mostly birch and maple. It's nice but lacks magic. The woods in this park of the Poconos are much older evergreens and more like what the native Americans lived in. These woods called me in a way a young forest does not. It is a beautiful place to wander, find your own private glade, and breath.

Hope to see you there,

Hugh Brenner

P.S. I came up with a great bannock recipe made with Lamb's Quarters seed, which you can make over our campfire. Yum.
A former member
Post #: 2
Hi all,

Yes Hawk Mountain is beautiful I love it there! One thing about potable water the camp is shut down for the winter so the potable water is also shut down there is no running water at the camp (at least not from a faucet)

You will have to bring your own water or if you wish there is a creek running on the property so you could clean that water up and use it. (a gallon a day per person for hygiene and drinking)

Hope to see you all there the last time we were there it was a great time come on out and join in on the fun and share and learn something new!

Hope to see you there!

Brian Winterstein
SEPA Survivalist and Bushcraft
A former member
Post #: 3
I live close to Hawk Mt. I don't have camping gear. Well, ok...I don't have any gear. I'm new to the group and want to get prepared, so to speak. May I join this weekend group during the day on Saturday? I think I would learn a lot. Let me know your thoughts. Jill