Nature Photographers Meetup! Message Board Nature Photographers Discussion Forum › ~HELPFUL PHOTOGRAPHY SITES AND ARTICLES~

~HELPFUL PHOTOGRAPHY SITES AND ARTICLES~

Sandi
user 8638852
Group Organizer
Spring Grove, IL
Post #: 159
Hi everyone, let's use this folder for consolidating helpful web sites or articles! This will keep them organized and easy to access. If it is a place we may want to photograph please post those in the idea spot! That way they are all in one spot for easy access.

IMPORTANT: We should probably post them as a "new thread "FIRST, so it shows up on the front page and then i can move them into one of these folders a few days later, for consolidating. That way we can all see them before they are moved. The problem, I realized, with posting them in these folders first, is that they won't get seen until someone looks in that folder. So let's go ahead and start a new thread with them and after a few days I'll move them into one of these folders for consolidation and easy access...

Thank you everyone, for contributing to our group by finding these things that will help us grow as Nature Photographers!!!
Sandi
user 8638852
Group Organizer
Spring Grove, IL
Post #: 160
Everyone, i hope you don't mind me putting some of your articles in here. It might be nice to have them all in one spot for finding them later. we'll see how it works out and if it is more convenient or less, let me know.

Online Outdoor Nature Photography Magazine and Midwest Nature Photographers

Here is another nature link I thought you might enjoy.

http://midwest.nature...­.

Edited by Margo McIntyre on Dec 1, 2009 7:18 PM

Linda F Posted Dec 1, 2009 7:49 PM Link to this reply Edit Delete Quote in reply

LSFlynn
Round Lake, IL
Post #: 46
Margo are you a member of this group too!

Margo McIntyre Posted Dec 2, 2009 8:36 AM Link to this reply Edit Delete Quote in reply

user 10764237
Morris, IL
Post #: 30
No, I just like to read the articles and check out the images.

Sandi Posted Dec 2, 2009 1:48 PM Link to this reply Edit Delete Quote in reply

user 8638852
Group Organizer
Spring Grove, IL
Post #: 158
Hi all!!! There is a great deal of fantastic articles on Nature Photography at "Online Nature Photographers Magazine". I really encourage everyone to become familiar with that site.
(apparently "Midwest Photographers" are some how connected with it... not sure) I get the "Outdoor Photographer" magazine and they have many of the articles from the magazine on the site. Today i was just reading one on getting Sharp shots with digital. A really practical and helpful article... here is the link to the main site's Gallery... if you want to see some of the pros work, check it out!

http://www.naturephot...­.

Margo, and all, i think i will combine all these helpful links into one folder that we can use specifically for posting links and helpful sites or articles... i hope that will be helpful to all.

So if anyone has great sites or links please keep them in the one folder so we can access them easier!

Thank you so much Margo, you have really posted some helpful stuff for all of us! keep em coming everyone! Please post anything from the web that you think will help us as a group in the new folder i will create... Just be sure to credit the creator of the article, or site, if you cut and paste from them for copywrite concerns.

Sandi

Add a reply
Sandi
user 8638852
Group Organizer
Spring Grove, IL
Post #: 161
Margo McIntyre Posted Dec 1, 2009 7:10 PM Link to this discussion Edit Delete thread Quote in reply

user 10764237
Morris, IL
Post #: 28

Great articles on composition.

http://photoinf.com/....­.

Linda F Posted Dec 1, 2009 7:51 PM Link to this reply Edit Delete Quote in reply

LSFlynn
Round Lake, IL
Post #: 47
Thanks for finding such interesting links Margo. Can't wait to meet you at one of our schedule shoots - are you going to Garfield Park on the 20th?

Margo McIntyre Posted Dec 2, 2009 8:37 AM Link to this reply Edit Delete Quote in reply

user 10764237
Morris, IL
Post #: 31
I'm always looking
Sandi
user 8638852
Group Organizer
Spring Grove, IL
Post #: 162
Margo McIntyre Posted Nov 21, 2009 7:56 PM Link to this discussion Edit Delete thread Quote in reply

user 10764237
Morris, IL
Post #: 12

Light Tent Instructions

With winter soon upon us, it is hard to always get outside and shoot photos. Last year I made this light tent and shot a lot of still life subjects. It is very easy to make. I shot my white on white flower with this. It's in my photo album.

http://www.pbase.com/...­.

Sandi Posted Nov 25, 2009 3:27 PM Link to this reply Edit Delete Quote in reply

user 8638852
Group Organizer
Spring Grove, IL
Post #: 141
Margo thank you so much! I have really wanted to buy one, but why spend the extra money if you don't need to.

Margo McIntyre Posted Nov 26, 2009 10:00 AM Link to this reply Edit Delete Quote in reply

user 10764237
Morris, IL
Post #: 17
You just buy different color poster board. Mostly I use white, but I also have many other colors. I have some lights that I got cheap at the hardware store and use them to light the background. It is just fun to experiment.

Beth Posted Nov 26, 2009 8:28 PM Link to this reply Edit Delete Quote in reply

SalvationsJoy
Schaumburg, IL
Post #: 37
Rob Domaschuk who taught a recent Macro class for the Chicago Meetup group has a similar lightbox, but one that can be disassembled and reassembled, taking less space, and being almost portable. I've ordered the 3 way corners.

Materials List:
• 4 pieces of ½" PVC pipe from Home Depot/Lowe's/Menard's cut into 12 36" pieces
• 4 yards of 45" wide white nylon material (preferably rip-stop nylon)
• 2 yards of 45" wide heavy black velvet material
• 8 ½" 3-way corners from www.FlexPVC.com (click here)
• Safety pins or velcro to attach the material to the structure

I am using full spectrum lights.

They are wonderful stages for photographing with few or no shadows. I purchased the black velvet, white posterboard and will try a "cloud" poster to simulate sky. I'll see how it works. In class, we used cardboard boxes and cut out three sides. Good start, but becomes worn out quickly as a lightbox.

Fun!

Sandi Posted Nov 27, 2009 1:25 PM Link to this reply Edit Delete Quote in reply

user 8638852
Group Organizer
Spring Grove, IL
Post #: 148
With the full spectrum lights i suppose that works fine for color images... just adjust white balance?

Sandi
user 8638852
Group Organizer
Spring Grove, IL
Post #: 163
Margo McIntyre Posted Nov 21, 2009 9:32 AM Link to this discussion Edit Delete thread Quote in reply

user 10764237
Morris, IL
Post #: 7

Great Resource Links

I am just posting a few of the links to great resource material that I have found. Hope you enjoy. I signed up for the free newsletter of the last listing (Digital Photography School) and have really enjoyed that.

http://www.naturephot...­.

http://www.qcphotoclu...­.

http://strobist.blogs...­.

http://digital-photog...­.

Edited by Margo McIntyre on Nov 21, 2009 9:33 AM

Sandi Posted Nov 21, 2009 10:54 AM Link to this reply Edit Delete Quote in reply

user 8638852
Group Organizer
Spring Grove, IL
Post #: 124
Hi Margo, thanks for the great links, i have a couple of them on my favorites list too... I look forward to meeting you Sunday... i think i remember you are going tomorrow. Your photography is really beautiful, i really enjoy it!

sandi

Margo McIntyre Posted Nov 21, 2009 12:35 PM Link to this reply Edit Delete Quote in reply

user 10764237
Morris, IL
Post #: 8
I won't be at the meetup tomorrow, but I will be at Garfield Conservatory in December. Tomorrow I am attending the CAPS program in Elgin.

Sandi Posted Nov 21, 2009 1:00 PM Link to this reply Edit Delete Quote in reply

user 8638852
Group Organizer
Spring Grove, IL
Post #: 127
Have a nice day at CAPS Margo! see ya in December and thanks again for your help with those great links!

Add a reply
Sandi
user 8638852
Group Organizer
Spring Grove, IL
Post #: 165
Chicago Area Photography School

user 10764237
Morris, IL
Post #: 1

CACCA (Chicago Area Camera Club Association) is sponsoring CAPS (Chicago Area Photography School) on Sunday, November 22, 2009. It is held every 2 years and is open to members as well as non-members of CACCA. I attended the last one and found it very informative. Here is the link. If you click on the 2009 Brochure tab, there is a description of the classes offered. It is held in Elgin, IL. I have already enrolled.

http://www.chicamerac...­.

Linda F Posted Nov 9, 2009 12:37 PM Link to this reply Edit Delete Quote in reply

LSFlynn
Round Lake, IL
Post #: 34
I just checked the Website for CAPS and the event is now closed.

Margo McIntyre Posted Nov 9, 2009 5:15 PM Link to this reply Edit Delete Quote in reply

user 10764237
Morris, IL
Post #: 2
I was not aware it had closed.

Sandi Posted Nov 10, 2009 12:25 PM Link to this reply Edit Delete Quote in reply

user 8638852
Group Organizer
Spring Grove, IL
Post #: 114
Thanks Margo! We'll have to check into that next time it comes around! Sounds great.

Sandi

Edited by Sandi on Nov 10, 2009 12:26 PM

Add a reply
Sandi
user 8638852
Group Organizer
Spring Grove, IL
Post #: 181
Margo McIntyre Posted Nov 22, 2009 8:12 PM
blue hour sky night photos

This was a link I heard about today at the seminar I attended. Looks like a great resource for that capture of blue hour sky night photos.

http://www.bluhour.co...­.

Sandi Posted Nov 23, 2009 12:55 PM Margo thank you, that looks like great information. I have yet to try a night sky with stars photo. I have an ok full moon shot through the oaks but, i would really like to try an evening with stars shot somewhere. i like the ones I've seen in the desert with cactus in the for ground. i guess the oaks would make a nice foreground but for the stars I'm thinking it would be too light from buildings around here... i think i need a vast area like a desert with no towns to lighten up the sky on long exposures.

i guess blue hour means right after dusk... i actually havent heard of it. not sure.

Tara Posted Nov 23, 2009 2:30 PM Margo thank you, that looks like great information. I have yet to try a night sky with stars photo. I have an ok full moon shot through the oaks but, i would really like to try an evening with stars shot somewhere. i like the ones I've seen in the desert with cactus in the for ground. i guess the oaks would make a nice foreground but for the stars I'm thinking it would be too light from buildings around here... i think i need a vast area like a desert with no towns to lighten up the sky on long exposures.

i guess blue hour means right after dusk... i actually havent heard of it. not sure.

For me the blue hour is usually about 7 or 8 during the summer. There's an hour in there somewhere, when the lighting outside just looks blue. Not exactly dark, but definitely not light. It's a neat time in the evening, I've just never shot during that time. Maybe we should have a mini contest, or a share section here within the group and challenge everyone to shoot during that hour. :)

After thinking about what I have shot over the past year, I reckon since the blue hour doesn't just occur in the evening, there's actually one in the morning, maybe I have shot during that hour.

Here are some I shot in St. Louis at Sunrise: (Tara i'm so sorry, you may have to post them again here or in an album)
And at the Golden Gate at Sunrise:

Tara your photos are breathtaking! i love the homework assignment... although can we really get anything but gray at this time of year? do you need a certain type of weather etc... to get that nice blue, does it have to be a clear night?

Thank you so much! Although I'm not a morning person, my husband and I kind of have a habit of catching the sunrise at least once in every spot we visit.

And you know, I think you're right. I've never really had to deal with these sort of gray-nighttime skies (we don't have them all the time in GA), so I'm not used to missing all these meteor showers, and interesting night shots. I do believe the best time to get these sort of colors are during the summertime, but it could be possible on a clear night during the winter too? I'm not really sure.

The St. Louis pics were taken after Christmas of last year, meanwhile the San Fran pics were taken in March. I think the big thing is to just have a clear sky. :)

Leslie McLain Posted Nov 25, 2009 5:18 PM From my experience the blue hour is really more like a half hour. The half hour starts at sunset and lasts for about 30 minutes (twilight) and is one of my favorite times to shoot. It's reversed at sunrise. To be effective the sky needs to still retain some blue. The sky needs to be clear to get good shots (always a challenge in Chicago). If the night sky is cloudy it doesn't photograph as blue, but rather a brownish, pinkish color which is not very attractive. Twilight pictures can be taken anytime of the year, the time to shoot just changes.
Leslie

http://www.betterphot...­.[/img]

Edited by Leslie McLain on Nov 25, 2009 5:19 PM

Sandi Posted Nov 25, 2009 7:48 PM Thank you leslie, that was really helpful! Now we need to pray for a clear day/eve!!! i wonder do we need to position ourself at a certain angle or have any particular filters, lens', or settings?

Margo McIntyre Posted Nov 26, 2009 10:03 AM Leslie, your Buckingham Fountain image is really gorgeous. I have not worked much with trying to capture that blue light. I found the article very interesting and my challenge is to try to capture more of these. This Chicago weather is a challenge all by itself.

Leslie McLain Posted Nov 26, 2009 7:27 PM Twilight is a great time to use HDR photography. Otherwise nothing special is needed.
http://www.betterphot...­.[/img]

Sandi
user 8638852
Group Organizer
Spring Grove, IL
Post #: 182
Margo McIntyre Posted Nov 27, 2009 9:59 AM Link to this reply Edit Delete Quote in reply

user 10764237
Morris, IL
Post #: 21
I just purchased Photomatix and have not yet had a lot of time to play with it. On top of that, my camera bit the dust. I'm waiting for my new camera to arrive. Going through withdrawl.

Sandi Posted Nov 27, 2009 1:21 PM Link to this reply Edit Delete Quote in reply

user 8638852
Group Organizer
Spring Grove, IL
Post #: 146
Leslie, i really want to try it and never have. I have taken shots to do them and just really don't know how to begin. I have Photoshop cs4 so i think i should be able to do them.

Sandi Posted Nov 27, 2009 1:22 PM Link to this reply Edit Delete Quote in reply

user 8638852
Group Organizer
Spring Grove, IL
Post #: 147
Margo what camera are you getting?

Tara Posted Nov 27, 2009 2:09 PM Link to this reply Edit Delete Quote in reply

user 8043762
Janesville, WI
Post #: 39
I just purchased Photomatix and have not yet had a lot of time to play with it. On top of that, my camera bit the dust. I'm waiting for my new camera to arrive. Going through withdrawl.

If you get a chance, try out Dynamic Photo and see what you think of it too. I have them both, but tend to use Dynamic Photo more than Photomatix. I'm always curious to see what others think of these programs. :) I do tend to do more Pseudo-HDR photos than actual HDR photos, as I do not have legs for my tripod yet, but if you'd like to see some that I've done you can see them here: http://viewmorepics.m...­.

Leslie McLain Posted Nov 27, 2009 7:02 PM Link to this reply Edit Delete Quote in reply

user 8881961
Chicago, IL
Post #: 7
I took an online course with Tony Sweet on HDR and he recommends Photomatrix as does Bryan Peterson. It's a great software and easy to use. I believe you can do it in Photoshop (although I don't know how), but I believe that Photomatrix is a lot easier.

Margo McIntyre Posted Nov 28, 2009 9:38 AM Link to this reply Edit Delete Quote in reply

user 10764237
Morris, IL
Post #: 23
I am getting a Canon 5d Mark ii.
When I went to CAPS school last week, they offered a class on HDR. I do get links to various programs sponsored by Chicago area camera clubs. If I see that there are any more HDR programs offered, I will post it. They are open to the public for free.

Margo McIntyre Posted Nov 28, 2009 9:39 AM Link to this reply Edit Delete Quote in reply

user 10764237
Morris, IL
Post #: 24
I also wanted to add that you can find many tutorials on youtube on HDR. Some are better than others, but worth checking out.

Margo McIntyre Posted Nov 29, 2009 9:10 AM Link to this reply Edit Delete Quote in reply

user 10764237
Morris, IL
Post #: 25
Here is a tutorial I found on pseudo HDR. I have not yet tried it. If you do, let me know what you think.

http://www.pxleyes.co...­.

Tara Posted Nov 29, 2009 1:45 PM Link to this reply Edit Delete Quote in reply

user 8043762
Janesville, WI
Post #: 40
Here is a tutorial I found on pseudo HDR. I have not yet tried it. If you do, let me know what you think.

http://www.pxleyes.co...­.

Well, I have to say I'm very disappointed in this tutorial, as I would have expected to get a better final product. The way this tut is done, you have to start out with an image that does not have very many drab colors, the colors need to be bright and pop (for the most part) at first glance.

For my Pseudo HDR, I typically only use PS to make three different exposures of my one image, and then I transfer over to Dynamic Photo or Photomatix to actually compile and create the HDR photo look I was going for.

Here's one I did via my normal process:

And here's the same image done via this tutorial:

Margo McIntyre Posted Nov 30, 2009 9:39 AM Link to this reply Edit Delete Quote in reply

user 10764237
Morris, IL
Post #: 26
Thanks for letting me know. I had not tried this.

Sandi
user 8638852
Group Organizer
Spring Grove, IL
Post #: 183
Sandi Posted Nov 30, 2009 6:10 PM Link to this reply Edit Delete Quote in reply

user 8638852
Group Organizer
Spring Grove, IL
Post #: 155
Wow Margo, you will sure have fun with that baby!!! I can't wait to some day to afford a full frame. Right now i have a D200 Nikon. It's a really nice camera too, but not full frame. Someday!!!

It must be hard having no camera right now.....

Margo McIntyre Posted Dec 1, 2009 10:30 AM Link to this reply Edit Delete Quote in reply

user 10764237
Morris, IL
Post #: 27
It is hard not having a camera. It is supposed to arrive today. I had a full frame before and I sold it. Then I found out how much I missed the full frame. At least I have had the time to update my website...always a work in progress.

Sandi Posted Dec 1, 2009 10:52 AM Link to this reply Edit Delete Quote in reply

user 8638852
Group Organizer
Spring Grove, IL
Post #: 156
Margo, i'm so excited for you!!! I hope you can make it to a meetup soon and have some fun with it!!! I really look forward to meeting you too! You have been so kind to post and participate and help everyone!

Hope you are having a fun holiday season!

sandi