Nature Photographers Meetup! Message Board Nature Photographers Discussion Forum › What do you do if you need a lens you don't have?

What do you do if you need a lens you don't have?

Stephan A. B.
sbrow1972
Lake Villa, IL
Post #: 1
At the McLake pond tour some of us were discussing camera gear (big shock right?) and the problem of needing or wanting a lens for vacation but not having that lens came up. I mentioned a company that rents lenses and other camera gear. Sandi thought I should post it. So here goes.

First a little background...

I have not personally used this company and can not provide a proper breakdown of their service and reliability. I heard about this company from a podcast, This Week In Photography (TWiP). The guys on this podcast are all pros. There is a LOT of good info in the podcast. The guy who heads this podcast is Alex Lindsay. He's worked on such films as Star Wars. Scott Bourne has also been a big part of the show. I don't remember which podcaster recommended the rental company, but several of the shows hosts use the service now.

And finally, the company is LensRentals.com.

If you're interested take a look. The rentals are all shipped to you via UPS and you ship them back the same way. There's no need to go to a store. Seems pretty easy to me. If you do try them out, please post your experiences.
Beth
SalvationsJoy
Schaumburg, IL
Post #: 59
Thank you - good info and I like the reviews of the lenses.
Jeff
MetilHed
Elmwood Park, IL
Post #: 113
If you shoot one of the "Big 2" ie Canon or Nikon, you can rent lenses locally, which is a nice thing to be able to do.

I shoot Olympus though, and that makes it pretty much impossible to rent locally. I have used LensRentals.com several times and had a good experience both times. They have multiple copies of lenses, offer insurance, and a lot of more specialized stuff that I couldn't even find for rent locally (Wimberley head, for example).

They do not charge a deposit or put a hold on your CC funds. (Probably not true for the REALLY expensive stuff, but I rented an $1100+ lens with no deposit/hold).They will also let you extend your rental via email if they have not already planned to rent your particular lens to someone else.

The only downside I see is paying shipping back and forth, but it seems a small price to pay for the availability of what you want/need and I think the lens rental price + shipping is comparable to renting locally, though I can't rent Olympus locally so that's just a guess.

The "No deposit" thing is a big + in their favor though.

Jeff