Nature Photographers Meetup! Message Board Nature Photographers Discussion Forum › Lens for Nature photography

Lens for Nature photography

Kathy
KTryon
Cary, IL
Post #: 111
Hi all,
I am not new to photography but new to nature photography. What lens do I want to bring to the Kettle Moraine meetup?
Thnx
Linda F
InspiringShots2
Chicago, IL
Post #: 96
Kathy:

I find that I use my 18-105mm for most of our nature outings when we are doing landscapes. You can still get a good close up and have the advantage of not having to change lens a lot. I use my 55-200mm when I know I will be trying to capture birds, wildlife and the like up close. You shouldn't need more than that.

When I ask what people are using on many of our outings it is usually a lens that is somewhere in this range - except for those people that prefer to do macros or zoom in at a great distance. If you have a macro for flower and bugs - that is good too. Personally, I don't own a macro yet, but still get great close ups with my standard lens.
Considering this outing is for Fall Colors I would think you would want whatever lens you use for your great landscape photos as we will pretty much be in the woods or fields.

PS Be sure to bring a jacket or dress in layers. We never know what the weather will do once we get to a location.
Bruce
inspiringshots
Round Lake, IL
Post #: 18
Hi Kathy - I buy lots but since money does not grow on trees.

I have a:

5.6 18-105 mm for most conditions from close up flowers to landscapes. (not quite a wide angle lens)
1.8 50 mm for low light conditions or shooting at night.
4.6 70-210 mm for more distance - great for candids, birds and the like
2 x converter - gives the 210 the effective range of over 500 mm

And that is the order I most use them in.

Hope that helps.

Bruce

PS - used the 18-105mm for all the images at the Dunes.