Neighborhood Acoustic Jam Group Message Board › More Music!

More Music!

Chris M.
chrismiles
Group Organizer
Oakland, CA
Hi Everybody,
We had a great last Friday night, with singers, guitars, banjos and harmonica. Thanks to everybody who came! I just posted the next Jam for November 22nd. I have planned this one to be a smaller group, 7 music lovers. It is first come 1st serve like last time. I like a smaller group because I find it difficult for me to keep track of what everybody is doing and integrating  musically with everyone in a large group. 12 didn’t seem like a big number on my computer screen but it seemed big in my living room! We were honored with some very skilled and professional musicians on Friday and for them it is no problem keeping track of what everyone else is doing while singing and playing, a skill learned from lots of experience. I have never played professionally and for me it was a lot to keep track of.
Some people will be disappointed that I am making this group smaller because they want to have more opportunities to make music, not less, and there is more demand than supply for music groups right now. If that includes you please read on because I have some ideas about this.
I would like to open up the page for others of or 62 (currently) members to organize music meet ups. There are a lot of possibilities for here for how to go about this.
One is that members can suggest meet ups. As I understand it if 3 people RSVP then and announcement will be sent out to the whole group. Be sure you are prepared to host if you do this. I may or may not attend depending on my schedule. I still need to figure out some details about how this works, but if you are interested in hosting a group email me and we can try to figure things out.
If you want to have a jam in your home (logistically the easiest since you don’t have to find a venue) you can limit the size to whatever you have room for. It only takes 2 to Harmonize. I don't see any problem with limiting the group to 3 or whatever.
If you want to have a specialized group, for example if you are a singer and would like to practice harmonies with other singers, you could organize such a music meet up, describing what it is you are looking for in the details.
You could organize a jam with a friend or 2 and add a couple people from meetup.
You are also welcome to organize something more informally, by inviting people on the dicussion thread below the next meet up – e.g. “hey, anyone want to meet at _______ and play this Sunday...". From there you can communicate by emailing members.
If you have access to a large venue, a community center or whatever, you could organize a group of unlimited size. If the weather is warm enough we could meet at a park, and if people wanted the group could divide up into smaller groups.
If you meet someone with similar musical interest at a group I host you are welcome to exchange info and meet with them.
There was one person at the 1st Jam last Friday who is planning to start a band. Such members are welcome to announce that they are looking for band members and describe what they are looking for, either on the comment thread below the next meetup or in the Dicussion area. Regarding this, I think the Discussion area is an underused resource that Meetup has available. If you look under the Neighborhood Acoustic Jam Group banner there is a menu item titled Discussions. If you have something to say that is of ongoing interest to members I would ecourage people to post it there (I am posting this letter there too for example), as well as in the meetup comment area. More people will see things in the meet up comment area, but once that particualar meetup has happened not many people will see it.
In short there are many possibilities for more music making groups!
Thanks and happy music making to all -Chris