Nerd Couples of DFW Message Board Nerdy Couples of Dallas Discussion Forum › Get To Know You Questionnaire

Get To Know You Questionnaire

Paul E.
user 40243032
Dallas, TX
Post #: 2
*What is your favorite movie?

Cathy – Silver Streak, Paul – Fellowship of the Ring

*What is your favorite TV show?

A few of our favorites are Amazing Race, Person of Interest, Castle, Warehouse 13, Star Trek (Next Gen), and Numbers

*What is your favorite book or series?

Cathy – Devil in the White City (E. Larsen), Water for Elephants (S. Gruen), Paul – Belgariad series

*Who is your favorite author?

Cathy – too many to count; Paul – currently Drake, Weber, and Modesitt

*What is your favorite genre of music?

Cathy – Jazz & R/B, Paul – Ballads, Country

*Who is your favorite singer or band?

Cathy – Chicago, Earth-Wind-Fire, Paul – Ronstadt, Denver, Peter-Paul-Mary

*What is your favorite video game?

Cathy – Mystery Case Files: Malgrave Incident, Paul – Morrowind, Zelda (Skyward Sword, Twilight Princess)

*How did you and your partner meet?

At a weekly pickup volleyball game sponsored by a church singles group

*How do you like to spend your free time?

Cathy – reading, travel, camping, gardening, hiking; Paul – cooking, travel, camping, reading

*Do you like musicals? If the answer is yes, what’s your favorite?

Yes; Man of LaMancha

*What’s your favorite food?

Cathy – Cheese Loaf (from Jarosch’s Bakery, Elk Grove Village IL), Paul – Blintzes (homemade)

*Do you have any pets?

Currently – Shadow, 11 year-old dog, part Border Collie, part Chou

*What’s your favorite color?

Cathy – Pink, Paul – Green

*What is your nerd claim to fame?

Cathy – is still looking for her 15 minutes of nerd fame; Paul – published D&D author (Judges Guild, 1980)
A former member
Post #: 23
These replies are for Sarra. Jeremy will just have to fill out his own. :)

*What is your favorite movie? Return of the Living Dead, Bubba Ho Tep, Shaun of the Dead

*What is your favorite TV show? Dexter series, CSI, Firefly, Weeds. We don't have cable so I watch everything on Netflix

*What is your favorite book or series? Dragon Tattoo, The Phantom Tollbooth, Dark Tower series,

*Who is your favorite author? Christopher Moore, Mario Acevedo, Robert Rankin, Neil Gaiman, really it changes with each new book that I love.

*What is your favorite genre of music? I don't really have a specific genre. Old school punk mostly. I'm not all that big into music.

*Who is your favorite singer or band? The Cramps

*What is your favorite video game? At the moment Xenoblade

*How did you and your partner meet? Through friends.

*How do you like to spend your free time? Knitting, cross stitching, reading, video games, at the zoo, doing stuff with Jeremy.

*Do you like musicals? If the answer is yes, what’s your favorite? So-so. Guys and Dolls

*What’s your favorite food? Bacon. Bacon. Anything with Bacon.

*Do you have any pets? Not at the moment. Unless you count about 50 zillion crane flies that can't resist following the kidlet through the patio door.

*What’s your favorite color? Purple

*What is your nerd claim to fame? Dressed up as a character in Road Warrior for the premiere and got in for free. Lost my Rocky Horror Picture Show virginity in NYC at the 8th Street Playhouse. Had french fries with Joe Bob Briggs (host of Joe Bob's Drive in Theater on TMC) at 2am in a coffee shop in Dallas. Co-GM of a guild in WoW.
Nick
NickH
Garland, TX
Post #: 3
So my wife and I recently joined you guys and are looking forward to meeting everyone. A little blurb then down to answers. We live in the Garland area of DFW and both avid gamers and scifi nerds overall. My wife is pretty hardcore into League of Legends and I run one of the most lucrative Warcraft daytime guilds across all the realms (I work third shift so daytimes were the only time to play). When trying to decide who is a bigger geek its a toss up. My wife is a hardcore Harry Potter nerd and I embrace my gaming geekiness with a passion. We both enjoy table top and rpg gaming as well as just about every fantasy / scifi movie known to man. We both work full time and go to school so our weekends are about our only free time. We would love to start a dinner and a movie division of the nerd couples club as we go almost every weekend.

So to questions...

Nick: Star Wars Trilogy (originals duh)
Jen: Harry Potter Series
Shared: Lord of the Rings

Nick: The Newsroom, Castle and The Sopranos
Jen: NCIS, True Blood and Big Brother
Shared: Game of Thrones, Firefly and pretty much every scifi show.

Nick: Anything by Dan Brown or Stephen King
Jen: Harry Potter, Eragon and Game of Thrones

Nick: Ian Fleming, Micheal Criton, Stephen King and Dan Brown
Jen: Margaret Weis, JK Rowling and Suzanne Collins.

Nick: Anything Punk, Rock, Alternative and Inbetween.
Jen: Christian and Alternative

Nick: Rise Against, Foo Fighters and The Black Keys
Jen: Third Day and Adele.

Nick: World of Warcraft, The Battlefield Series, The Elder Scrolls Series, With Hope... Guild Wars 2.
Jen: League of Legends, SWTOR and Diablo 3.
Shared: Paying homage to Everquest :D

A hook up from a friend in World of Warcraft surprisingly. Someone we both played with separately brought us together from across the country.

Whats that? JK, gaming, movies, music, tv and foodie. Both of us are in school and have started to forget what free time looks like :D

Nick: Um... some Italian Opera is ok..
Jen: Went to acting school... Love them all.

We are pretty big foodie's and enjoy new experiences of any cuisine. Nick is a grill master so we do a lot of chicken made up in various fashions. When we go out we like to try different stuffs but recently have gotten stuck in a rut due to time and the fact its hotter than heck outside :D

*Do you have any pets?
We have two dogs, one a chihuahua the other a collie weenie dog mix.

Nick: Can only apply to my car... Orange!
Jen: Earth tones or pastels :D

Nick: Won first place in the DC area Magic the Gathering regionals back in 2006 with winnings upwards of 5k$ in cards. In Wrath of the Lich King in Warcraft I led a guild that ranked server first and world 300 for the death of heroic LK. Arena Season 1 Champ in WoW back in BC (top 50 team in the world). Currently raiding daytimes 10am to 1pm and pushing for heroic stuffs when the new WoW xpack drops next month.

Jen: Been gaming since EQ1, raided with my hubby before we were even married or knew each other since vanilla wow. We only really met and got together halfway through Wrath. I am the biggest harry potter nerd to the point I sewed my own robes to wear for the book releases. My hubby took me to universal studios to experience the Harry Potter park and everyone was mistaking me for an employee :D Currently playing league of legends with a solid team hoping to rank!
A former member
- Original Star Wars Trilogy, all the new Marvel movies are great, Serenity, The Hunt for Red October

- Big Bang Theory, Burn Notice, Leverage, Firefly

- Dresden Files, Callahan’s Crosstime saloon, Kingkiller Chronicles

- Spider Robinson, Jim Butcher, Patrick Rothfuss

- My wife calls it “angry women music” but I like singer/songwriters

- Currently Sara Bareilles

- Based on time played? Probably World of Warcraft but I have lots of favorites.

- Denny’s in Irving at 2am after a club. She was dating a friend of mine at the time

-Computer games, movies, reading, TV

- Grease, did it in High School and it stuck. Also love Nightmare before Christmas and Annie

-Prime Rib when I can get it. A nice slow cooked Brisket is good too.

*Do you have any pets?
- 2 cats. Sasha and Dax

- Green…I’m also a little colorblind, coincidentally for green. So it probably doesn't look like what I think it does.

-Played RPGs since I was 10, played every system under the sun
Lara H.
user 70679512
Dallas, TX
Post #: 1
Lara - Amelie
Rob - original Star Wars trilogy
Lara - Once Upon a Time, Firefly, Star Trek: TOS/TNG, South Park, Big Bang Theory
Rob - Firefly, Sharpe's Rifles, Babylon 5, Big Bang Theory, Monty Pythons Flying Circus, and many more
Lara - Nero Wolf, Sherlock Holmes, The Dresden Files, The Magicians and Mrs Quint, A World full of Gods, Discworld
Rob - The Dresden Files, Agincourt, The Wheel of Time, A Song of Ice and Fire, many more
Lara - Richard Dawkins, Rex Stout, Jim Butcher
Rob - Christopher Hitchens, Jim Butcher, Robert Jordan
Lara - Rock
Rob - Rock and Metal
Lara - Halestorm
Rob - Halestorm, Within Temptation, Epica
Lara - Dragon Age 2, Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Rob - Mass Effect, The Old Republic, Dragon Age
We met at a chivalric martial arts school where Rob is a senior student
Reading, video gaming, board gaming, pencil and paper rpg's
Lara - Yes,
Rob - a little, The Producers
We like many different types of food
*Do you have any pets?
We have 2 dogs
Lara - Brown
Rob - Red
Lara - I met my spouse at a 14th century sword fighting class
Rob - I am a senior student in a 14th century sword fighting class
John T.
user 3186987
Grapevine, TX
I want to preface my comments here with the fact that I lived in the UK for many years before emigrating to Texas. So there may be a slight British dimension to my comments …

What is your favorite movie?
Alien and Aliens, The Godfather movies, James Bond movies (Sean Connery, mostly), Kelly’s Heroes, Lord of the Rings, Matrix, Paul, Pulp Fiction, Terminator, Terminator 2, Usual Suspects

What is your favorite TV show?
In no particular order: Big Bang Theory, Blackadder, Dexter, Doctor Who, Father Ted, Firefly, Heroes (Season 1 only), House of Cards, Game of Thrones, Monty Python, People Like Us (rare UK mockumentary show), Red Dwarf, Yes Minister

What is your favorite book or series?
Game of Thrones, The Culture series (Iain M. Banks), Jack Reacher (Lee Child), Dave Robicheaux (James Lee Burke)

Who is your favorite author?
George R. R. Martin, Malcolm Gladwell, Stephen King, Peter F. Hamilton, Tim Powers, John Le Carre

What is your favorite genre of music?
Rock, mostly from the 80s.

Who is your favorite singer or band?
Guess I’d have to say Meatloaf. For my sins.

What is your favorite video game?
I tend to play a game a lot, then get burned out on it and stop playing for months. However, I have played Everquest (1 and 2), WoW, SW:TOR, Secret World, City of Heroes (sob!), Champions Online, Skyrim, etc. etc.
I’m looking forward to both NWN and Elder Scrolls Online, though.

How did you and your partner meet?
Online through matchmaker.com, many years ago …

How do you like to spend your free time?
Watching TV, playing RPGs, reading.
In RPG-land, I particularly like Runequest and Traveller, though I’ve been playing a lot of D&D 3.5 recently …

Do you like musicals? If the answer is yes, what’s your favorite?
Would have to be Dr Horrible …

What’s your favorite food?
Curry. Mmmm …. Curry … it’s my English heritage.

Do you have any pets?
We have two dogs (Max and Bucky) and two guinea pigs (Alfie and Basil). Max is a Silkie and Bucky is a Maltepoo.

What’s your favorite color?
Yellow. The brighter the better … fluorescent orange works too …

What is your nerd claim to fame?
Hmm. Let’s see …
I have an undergraduate honors degree in Physics
I was the chairman of one role-playing convention in the UK, and secretary of another. We had Steve Jackson as our GOH both times.
I went to college, and role-played a lot, with John Kovalic of Munchkin fame.
I was co-author of the ill-fated and never published 1st edition of the GURPS Traveller: Imperial Navy supplement

janeeeeee
user 2853857
Grapevine, TX

Pride and Prejudice ( 2005), Pixar movies, Scrooge (1951), Men In Black (I, II, III), Total Recall, Star Trek movies

What is your favorite TV show?
Doctor Who, Big Bang Theory, Game of Thrones, Star Trek TNG, British detective shows, Miranda, Criminal Minds, Alien Nation, Parenthood, Heroes (season 1), Spaced, Green Wing...

What is your favorite book or series?
Song of Ice and Fire, Harry Potter series, City and the Stars, Pride and Prejudice, Persuasion, Undead and Unwed series, Tiffany Aching series, Bromeliad series, My Enemy the Queen, Hunger Games trilogy, Spin, To Say Nothing of the Dog, Gregor the Overlander series…

Who is your favorite author?
George R. R. Martin, Arthur C. Clarke, Jane Austen, Terry Pratchett, Suzanne Collins, Connie Willis, Elizabeth Gaskell…

What is your favorite genre of music?
Americana, folk, bluegrass.

Who is your favorite singer or band?
Lyle Lovett, Chip Taylor, Robert Earl Keen, James Taylor, Lucinda Williams, Gillian Welch…

What is your favorite video game?
Hidden object games, Bejeweled.

How did you and your partner meet?
Matchmaker.com

How do you like to spend your free time?
Watching TV, playing with and making puppets, reading, cruising!

Do you like musicals? If the answer is yes, what’s your favorite?
Yes. Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, The King and I, Fiddler on the Roof, Legally Blonde the musical…

What’s your favorite food?
Chocolate, but I’m allergic to it. It breaks me out in fat.

Do you have any pets?
Two dogs – Bucky (named after Buckminster Fuller) and Max (named after James Maxwell) and two guinea pigs – Alfie and Basil.

What’s your favorite color?
Red. Red. Red. More red. Black. Red.

What is your nerd claim to fame?
Ran a BBS in the 80s.
Just did a comic in a zombie graphic anthology.
Kristin Moro C.
user 45399322
Dallas, TX
Ok. These are “Get To Know You” Questions. You can answer as a solo person or you can include both yours and your partner’s answers in one. I understand some of these questions will be difficult so no points will be deducted if you answer “Favorites” questions with a few different things. You’ll find that there will be many of us who can bond with you over your favorite nerdy things. I’ll probably come up with more of these but the basics will do for now. :) Have fun with it!

*What is your favorite movie? Me: Much Ado About Nothing (the Kenneth brannaugh version), The Three Amigos, Serenity, Stardust, Zero Dark Thirty, Glory My husband: the original 3 star wars. (4-6)

*What is your favorite TV show? Me: arrested development, castle, sherlock, Firefly. husband: Fast n Loud, Fringe

*What is your favorite book or series? Both of us: anything and everything Neil Gaiman

*Who is your favorite author? See above

*What is your favorite genre of music? Me: bluegrass, old old country, anything 60s-80s. Husband: heavy metal, alternative

*Who is your favorite singer or band? Me: Nickel Creek, Sara Watkins, Zee Avi, Sting, U2, Willie Nelson. Husband: Chris Whitley, Killswitch Emgage , Tool

*What is your favorite video game? Me: pacman, Teri's, scrabble

*How did you and your partner meet? At a work social function

*How do you like to spend your free time? hiking, birding, going to movies

*Do you like musicals? If the answer is yes, what’s your favorite? Me: yes! My Fair Lady, Mary Poppins, Music Man, Finnegans Rainbow Husband: no!

*What’s your favorite food? Ethnic.

*Do you have any pets? 3 dogs and a Trans Pecos Rat Snake

*What’s your favorite color? Me: red. Husband:black

*What is your nerd claim to fame? We are known in our family as the "bird nerds". We aren't the " learn every detail and memorize it" kind of nerds, but we love most things sci-fi nerdy. We think that the adults only night at the Perot is a fun night out!

A former member
28 Days Later

My favorite TV show of all time is Battlestar Galactica.

A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin

George R.R. Martin

Rock (The Black Keys, White Stripes, Weezer etc)

The Black Keys

City of Heroes

We met on a comic book website, but we have recently separated.

Reading, internet message board, spending time with my sons.

Not really.

Tacos

*Do you have any pets?
A Pembroke Welsh Corgi named Bella, a black cat named Pinky, a tabby cat named Rocket.

Blue

Comic books. I like um!