addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Nerd Fun - Boston Message Board Nerd Fun - Boston - Event Related Discussion › NERD FUN: Why rsvp YES and then not come?

NERD FUN: Why rsvp YES and then not come?

Heather
sacajawea
Group Organizer
Cambridge, MA
Post #: 203
was this with Nerd Fun?

I was "talked to" for showing up to an event that I hadn't RSVPd for...I truly thought I had RSVPd "on time" but apparently when organizer printed the list of RSVPs for the event, it was before I had checked that I would be attending. As it turns out, no harm done there was room for me, but the organizer made it VERY CLEAR to RSVP as early as possible or I may not get on their printed-off list they use to check attendance..I found it interesting. I had RSVPd my attendance about 8 hours before the event...

Heather
sacajawea
Group Organizer
Cambridge, MA
Post #: 204
Hi, thanks for responding.

With the exception of TJ's event most of our events are capped at a reasonable number of people for this very reason... and it came out of the conversation in this thread. It previously hadn't occurred to me that some people wouldn't come if they saw too many people at an event, 'cuz of course, then what's the difference with just going alone? pffft .. makes sense.

And, it makes sense that members wouldn't think that RSVPing accurately would be important with a list that large... when it always is.

So I'm glad people spoke their minds in this thread, it was all really helpful info...

The events I run are usually capped at between 12 to 20 people. They are almost always public events so I usually send a note to the attendees that if they're on the waiting list and couldn't get on the 'yes' list, that of course they could come anyways, that I'm just trying to make sure people are RSVPing with integrity, and that we'll have an accurate and "active" "yes" list of attendees. It usually works pretty well, and people understand what we're trying to do.

Also... the people in this group are really easy going, chill, interesting, fun people. I am always amazed and impressed at the conversations people end up having.

So, please come to events that interest you, and connect with your own little corner of people if you end up at an event with 80 people listed. ;-)

- H

Speaking for myself, I am very shy with strangers. The thought of going to something with a large group can be very intimidating. Sometimes I sign up for an event and truly want to/mean to go, but at the last minute, I become too anxious and am not able to. Before seeing this post, I honestly didn't know that people RSVPing and then not coming was such a problem, especially when the numbers are so large -- I didn't think that one person would be missed. I will now be more careful about changing to "no" when I realize I won't be able to make it. Still, I feel that a draconian policy for no-shows would be unkind to introverts/shy people. Realizing that organizers will be angry at me if I don't make it turns something fun into another source of stress and makes me less likely to sign up for events.

T.J. M.
manicman11
Quincy, MA
Post #: 201
Hi, thanks for responding.

With the exception of TJ's event most of our events are capped at a reasonable number of people for this very reason... and it came out of the conversation in this thread. It previously hadn't occurred to me that some people wouldn't come if they saw too many people at an event, 'cuz of course, then what's the difference with just going alone? pffft .. makes sense.

Yep, from now on I am going to also be capping my events. Having that huge number of people (88 signed up?) when I am playing host kinda terrified me.

I am used to the days this was a smaller group, where at most twenty or thirty people would sign up RSVPing YES for an event when I left the number of people who could sign up.

I forgot it might actually be terrifying for others, too! ;)

By the way, the event went well. I'd say around forty of us Nerd Fun people attended the lecture, breaking off into smaller groups. Only a group of eleven went out for dinner after, but we did gather together for a bit after we took off for dinner.
A former member
Post #: 3
I too apologize for my yes rsvps- poor time management combined with "ooh,that looks great,combned with the axe-ing of the MAYBE is what makes it happen.Apologies...
Marianne
user 9387943
Cambridge, MA
Post #: 15
As an assistant organizer, I do wish that members would update their RSVPs so that I know who is coming. I prefer capping groups at 10 to 20 people, but if I do that, fewer people get to attend with Nerd Fun and only 5 to 10 people willl show up.

Smaller groups are more fun for me because it's more relaxed--for me and everyone else--and I get to at least say hello to fellow Nerd Fun members and introduce everyone. If members keep their RSVPs up to date, I know how many to expect, for planning purposes.

I sometimes cap very popular events at 30 to 40 people, but lately it's still been only about a 50 percent (or less) attendance rate. Changing the attendance limit doesn't seem to matter one way or the other.

I've tried several different ways of setting up events, but none of them have improved the attendance rate since the "Maybe" option disappeared.

Marianne
Sylvia
user 4519074
Newtonville, MA
Post #: 1
Sometimes there's a time cutoff for changing one's RSVP, and you can't make that cutoff. Plus, as an early response stated, shit happens. When it happens the afternoon before an evening meetup, I sometimes can't get to my computer to change the RSVP. So maybe there's an assumption that "everyone has iPhones, why aren't they perfect with their RSVPs?" I don't have an iPhone/iPad and cannot change an RSVP away from home. I don't think anyone flakes off intentionally; I certainly don't. Also, sometimes people get freed up to do something after RSVPs close, and when they show up at my events, that's fine with me. As an organizer on other Meetups, I have come to expect some slight variation between the RSVP list and who actually turns up. Most organizers I know do. If an event is as number-sensitive as a specific table reservation at a restaurant, maybe Meetup is not the best way to do it. In other words, to enjoy your own events that you host better, roll with it and don't let the Meetup infrastructure make you neurotic tongue or overshadow the real point--having fun. (This is not meant personally at anybody.)
A former member
Post #: 1
Hi,

I have made the update that I was not able to join, but that was after I found out (day of through work) that I had to jump on a plane to go to a sponsor to try and put out a "fire" that occurred which was in NJ. I informed the group as soon as I knew but unfortunately, in my line of work, sometimes my schedule changes at the last minute.

Kind Regards,
Megan