Group Organizer
Cambridge, MA
Post #: 208
Send an Email You are unable to greet this member
Post ideas here.

A former member
Post #: 103
Events are too often isolated.

I’ve noticed most of the events somehow end up isolated to the group. This is really something that’s happening more so in all online meetup groups rather than Nerd fun in particular.

Either by a private room, or having event s at a much less busy time, or things that aren’t popular with people outside the group. For example, there are alot more hiking events than city walks. Hiking is isolated to the group, city walks may have other people around.

Somehow, more than 95% of the time, events end up isolated. This is not the norm. The norm, if I were to track this, is typically 70-80% of activities are not isolated. If events were only slightly isolated, this would be nitpicking, which is wrong. But events are isolated to extreme. People outside online groups just don’t plan activities highly isolated, even when meeting the first time. So, there must be something different about people in online groups.

I like much of the events, but sometime times are shifted to less busy times, drinks are early to avoid the crowds, or tours are private. Or private reservations are made which are isolated to the group.

Let’s try to keep events open. We may meet additional people, while some may disagree, I don’t feel that’s a bad thing. Also, other people go out, once in a while meet additional people, and it doesn’t take away from the original people we came with.

Also we miss out on a lot of activities because events that are not isolated, (e.g. festivals, city tours, etc) people don’t do at all. So, we are staying narrowly focused on things as long as they are isolated. Things like city tours, museums, farms, and festivals also fit into the Nerd interests, but we are staying away because other people also go to these places. So, we are missing out on a lot of activities, event whole categories of activities, just because we are staying isolated.

Heather
sacajawea
Group Organizer
Cambridge, MA
Post #: 213

thanks for the forum post...

all I can say is this: go ahead and start your own group, pick the events you want to go to, and when you bring group members along make sure people only speak to people outside the group.

I'm sure you could get a meetup group going for people who don't want to talk to each other. ;-)

Heather
sacajawea
Group Organizer
Cambridge, MA
Post #: 214

I'm sure you could get a meetup group going for people who don't want to talk to each other. ;-)

or, in other words: "family"
T.J. Maher
user 4996698
Brockton, MA
Post #: 203
Send an Email Post a Greeting
Events are too often isolated.

I’ve noticed most of the events somehow end up isolated to the group. This is really something that’s happening more so in all online meetup groups rather than Nerd fun in particular.

I remember pre-Nerd Fun, just how hard it was to meet fellow Nerds like myself. I would constantly find myself after going to events, wishing that I could just turn to the person next to me and bounce ideas around about how they thought the lecture was. I'd get dirty looks all the time from people. I tried this for, like, forever. The only fellow nerds I knew were the few good friends I made from college.

Anybody can go to a science lecture. They are all open to the general public. The fun part for me going with the Nerd Fun group is exchanging thoughts and ideas after the lecture in a small intimate group, one where the ice has been already broken.

I've now been part of this group for a few years. I can't tell you how wonderful the people in this group were to me. I've built up some very good friendships in this group. I found my wife from this group, and around thirty people I met from this group attended my wedding, and a few were even my groomsmen.