Nerd Fun - Boston Message Board Nerd Fun - Boston - Event Related Discussion › event ideas = please add these here.

event ideas = please add these here.

Heather
sacajawea
Group Organizer
Cambridge, MA
Post #: 197
Dear SITN followers,

For a number of years, Science in the News (SITN) has organized a free public lecture series in the Brigham Circle/Longwood Medical area. This spring, due to high demand, we are delighted to announce that we will be extending our lecture series into Cambridge! For our extended series we will be having the following exciting lectures:

May 4

Black Holes and Cosmic Roles: Understanding the Center of the Galaxy

May 18

The Mystery of Sleep: How Neuroscientists are Solving One of the Brains Most Interesting Puzzles

June 1

Origins and Applications of Pluripotent Stem Cells

June 15

The War on Cancer: Where we Are in the Battle, and Why we Haven’t Won.

Each lecture will run from 7-9 pm in Pfizer Auditorium at Harvard University. To get there, walk towards the Harvard Science Center onto Oxford Street. Pfizer Auditorium will be on your right on Oxford street inside the building called the Mallinckrodt Building (12 Oxford St., Cambridge). Directions can also be found at our website.

We look forward to seeing you all there!

Heather
sacajawea
Group Organizer
Cambridge, MA
Post #: 200
friday fun this summer

http://www.highlandstreet.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=79­

free friday admission to a bunch of stuff around Massachusetts in July and August

something different each week
Heather
sacajawea
Group Organizer
Cambridge, MA
Post #: 201
Beth P.
Beth_P
Boston, MA
Post #: 1
The Science Fiction Theatre Company's first production, "Dark Matters," ends November 20th. It got good reviews on the New England Theatre Geek site, .

They're one of the resident companies at the Factory Theatre, which is at the Piano Factory in the South End.

Their website doesn't list any upcoming productions, but I think they're worth following.

Meghan
GuardUp
Burlington, MA
Post #: 24
I'm one of the Directors at Guard Up! Family Swordsmanship. If we have enough people interested, we could run a private Sword Games, Foil Fencing or NERF Blaster Event. Our normal pricing is $20/person for a 2 hour event. I can offer a special 50% discount for Nerd Fun members if you think the event would attract at least 20 people.

Here is our website: www.guardup.com

We can do Sword Games with foam swords (variations on "capture the flag" but with foam swords). We can also do an introduction to Foil Fencing... we provide all of the equipment (wear long pants sweats and sneakers, cup for men). Or we can do a NERF Blaster event... kind of like capture the flag with NERF blasters. You can bring your own blaster, but we provide the darts (so you don't lose your own).

If you are interested, send me a message via meetup.

Meghan
Leigh C.
user 9116417
Allston, MA
Post #: 1
Not sure if I can go to these, but a suggestion for events are the talks from the Psyche department at MIT:
SERIES TITLE: Neuroscientific and Evolutionary Foundations of Religion and Spirituality

Thursday, February 21, 5:30 PM

"The Evolutionary Psychology of Religion"

SPEAKER: Steven Pinker
ORGANIZATION: Harvard University
DATE + TIME: Thursday, February 21, 5:30 PM

________________________________________­__________________________

FUTURE SEMINARS:

March 7, 6:00 PM
"Origins of Spirituality in Human Experience: Neuroscience and Buddhism"
Tenzin Priyadarshi, MIT

March 21, 6:00 PM
"Purposes and Designs: Foundations of Adult Religious Belief in Childhood"
Deb Kelemen, Boston University

April 4, 6:00 PM
"If Religious Belief was Evolutionary Adaptive, Why Do Nonbelievers Exist?"
Catherine Caldwell-Harris, Boston Universaity

April 18, 6:00 PM
"The Neurology of Religiosity"
P. Monroe Butler, Boston University School of Medicine

May 2, 6:00 PM
"Sacrificing Freedom of Mind: How We Fall Prey to Cults and Controllers"
Steven Hassan, Freedom of Mind Resource Center
Amber Lynn H.
user 76298552
Boston, MA
Post #: 4
Exciting science activities and Science Crawl in Cambridge this April! I am volunteering for the Cambridge Science festival, so I am showing a link to the scheduled events (which are always being updated). Can't wait for the Crawl!

http://cambridgescien...­

Cheers!
Amber
jay
user 11310620
Quincy, MA
Post #: 94
I brought up last summer the idea of a weekend camping trip to the Boston harbor islands. If we have enough people then I'd rent the group campsite for this coming summer.
Doreen S
DoreenS
Somerville, MA
Post #: 36
I walked by Koch Institute Public Galleries today and it looks like a good place. The admission is free from 8am–6pm, Mondays–Thursdays and from 8am-4pm, Fridays.

It is very close to Kendall/MIT Station.
Heather
sacajawea
Group Organizer
Cambridge, MA
Post #: 224
Nice. I didn't know about this

I walked by Koch Institute Public Galleries today and it looks like a good place. The admission is free from 8am–6pm, Mondays–Thursdays and from 8am-4pm, Fridays.

It is very close to Kendall/MIT Station.