We're now meeting once a month to do cool stuff! We've got a bunch of awesome projects underway:
(click heading links to learn more on each topic)
• Change Over Time! We're firing up a project to use super simple tech plus social media to monitor habitat change over time. Know about photo-stitching or time-lapse movie making? Help us out!
• Networking Nature! We're designing and building new open-source hardware and software systems to gather and transmit eco-sensor data from remote locations. Come check out the NerdBuoy prototype that debuted at the Mare Island NerdFest, and help us figure out how to make the next one better.
• Flight For Nature! Hear a recap, watch some brief presentations, and see some video of the NerdFest UAV action. Then help us figure out how to use them for ecological research.
• Grassroots Bioblitzes! We're building an ongoing program of grassroots, citizen science bioblitzes where we use our smartphones and the iNaturalist platform to gather tons of data about the plants, animals, and fungi of local parks. Awesome!
• DIY Air Quality Monitoring! Help us figure out how to build, install, use, and share air quality monitors and data. This month we'll demonstrate some new calibration hardware, show off our new toxic gas sensor development boards, and start discussion of possible field events to try them out in the real world.
• Nerdsfornature.org Want to help us make a better home on the web? Awesome!
• New Projects? Maybe consumer carbon data tracking with Eric, or high-tech shepherding with Cole?
• Your Project? Nerds for Nature is all volunteer, all grassroots. Bring your project ideas!