Note: Update Sunday May 11: The weather On Wednesday is not favorable for a sunset/moonrise hike. As both weather channels indicate clouds and/or rain for Wednesday evening, the hike is on but be prepared for clouds and/or rain for the hike. And, the black flies are out.
Stay tuned as there may be a repeat performance on Saturday July 12.
If this outlook changes your plans to attend, please change your MeetUp RSVP to reflect your current plans.
Total Distance: Less than 4 miles
Elevation Gain: Approximately 800 feet
Difficulty Level: Advanced Beginner
Time: About 3 hours round trip
Hike Description: By signing up and/or attending this hike you acknowledge that you have read the complete Hike Description and you agree to the Liability Waiver below. This is an opportunity to watch the sunset at 7:58 PM and a scant one minute later, watch the moonrise - all from the open summit of Mt. Wachusett. We will hike up the Echo Lake, High Meadow, Jack Frost, and Mountain House trails. Our return trip will be smoother and easier as we will utilize the Administration Road (in the dark!) to return to our vehicles about 9:30 PM. The hike begins at 6:30 PM SHARP so please try to be on time as the sun and moon wait for no man. This hike will be at a relaxed pace.
You can find information about Mt. Wachusett, including a trail map, here. We are not starting from the ski area or from the Visitor Center. We will start from the 'back side' on Westminster Road which is 1.9 miles south of the Visitor Center (heading away from route 2). DO NOT rely on the ‘directions’ provided in MeetUp announcements.
We will meet at the trailhead at coordinates 42.474362, -71.894510. The coordinates can be copied and pasted into maps.google.com or bing.com/maps (or use this map) to get directions and travel time from your location. Detailed instructions for using the coordinates: Highlight the full numeric portion of the coordinates – usually about 16 digits - and copy them. Click on either the Google or Bing link provided, paste the copied coordinates into the top search bar where the cursor is located, press enter, and then click on Get Directions (Google) or Directions (Bing) to type in your starting point.
Please bring a flashlight (a headlamp is preferred), water, and sturdy boots as the trail up the hill does have some areas of rough footing. There are not any facilities or water etc. at the trail head or at the summit. Evening temperatures are usually cooler, especially on the exposed summit, so bring a fleece and/or wind jacket to help guard against the weather.
Guests are not allowed on this hike. If you want to bring any non-member(s), please have them join the group online and then they can RSVP for the hike.
Liability Waiver: As a condition of your voluntary participation in this activity you acknowledge and agree to the following:
• this activity involves inherent risks that can cause property damage, injury, illness, disability, and/or death to participants and/or others;
• you assume all risk associated with this activity;
• you are responsible for having the necessary knowledge, skills, abilities, clothing, and equipment to safely participate in this activity;
• you know and will follow the Hiker Responsibility Code described at www.hikesafe.com;
• the organizer(s) and leader(s) of this activity are volunteers;
• and you for yourself, your heirs, executors, and administrators release, hold harmless, and indemnify the organizer(s), leader(s) and all members of this group from any and all claims for property damage, injury, illness, disability, and/or death - including those caused by negligence and/or other reasons.
Remember: You are solely responsible for your own safety.