To our fellow hikers,
This group was created for us all to hike, have fun and raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Some of us have been involved in LLS's Team in Training program and some have not. Regardless of whether you are a TNT alumni or not, if you would like to hike with us you must agree to the following guidelines of the group - read on :-)
Here are the guidelines for joining the group:
1. Commit to raising a minimum of $100 per year in donations to LLS. To those of you who have participated in TNT, that may not seem like much but it is just a minimum, and if we have 100 members who raise an average of $500 each, we can raise $50K!
2. Commit to and sign-up for 8-10 hikes per year; scheduled in advance approximately each quarter (3-4 months in advance). Members can choose to hike every week but must commit to hiking their 8 - 10 "scheduled" Saturdays. If you cannot hike on one of your scheduled Saturdays, you must switch with another member. Why have a minimum commitment like this? Because we want to ensure that there is always a core group at every hike so no one shows up one Saturday and there is no one to hike with.
3. The hike group meets every Saturday at 9:00am at that week's pre-designated location for a 3 - 4 hour hike, about 7-8 miles long. Routes & maps will be created by the Organizers and posted to this Meetup site. There will not be a specific "leader" of each hike; each member who wants to hike that week will be responsible for printing out and bringing their own map and will be responsible for their own safety on the trail. The Trail maps are for a suggested hike; if the hikers that show up all agree on another route, you are welcome to change it - just make sure everyone knows where they are going!
4. Rain does not automatically cancel a hike - but will eliminate the requirement to show up for those that are scheduled; communication to the Meetup group is important and those that wish to hike rain or shine should let people know that they will be hiking (although possibly alone in the rain!).
5. This group is not associated with Team in Training and not intended to compete with TNT, but rather to offer another avenue of support to the LLS mission. TNT continues to offer a Flex Hike program and we encourage you to participate in that. We welcome any Flex TNT participants who would like to train and hike with our group. Our $100 donation minimum is satisfied by your participation in the TNT Flex program.
6. Members are welcome to plan destination hikes that would be available to all hike group members. Travel costs would be paid by each member. Saturday trainings could be extended for those who need to train for a longer-distance destination hike. For example, if a group of us plans to hike Half Dome, we could do the weekly 7-8 mile group hikes, and then add on more miles at the end of each hike to give us extended trainings for our destination hike.
7. While we want to welcome everyone, we do expect only hikers who are physically capable of doing the hikes and who have gear and know how to use it to join. There will be no "Coaches" or "Mentors" to help novice hikers. While we will all help each other on the trail in the spirit of the group, each person is ultimately responsible for themselves. By hiking with our group, you agree that no member shall be held liable for personal accident or injury occurring while participating in these hikes. You acknowledge that there is an inherent risk in outdoor activities such as hiking, and you agree to be responsible for your own health and safety.
Rich, Merry & Jennifer
|Page title||Most recent update||Last edited by|
|About No Team? Hike On!||October 25, 2012 9:37 AM||anonymous|