add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

New Orleans Banquets and Books Message Board › New Meetup: Salty summer start...

New Meetup: Salty summer start...

Lorraine L.
user 6527877
Group Organizer
New Orleans, LA
Announcing a new Meetup for New Orleans Banquets and Books!

What: Salty summer start...
When: Thursday, June 2, 2011 7:00 PM

Price: $2.00 per person

Where: Private Residence
Address will be given after RSVP
70118, LA 70118

Hello again my friends--

It's been quite a while since we met, but I hope you've been enjoying the spring and indulging in all kinds of wonderful foods and books.

We'll meet again at my house on June 2. Our reading selection is a novel: The Book of Salt by Monique Truong. It's only 272 pages! Available for a penny from Amazon and also on Kindle. And it is available in both Orleans and Jefferson Parish libraries.

From Publisher's Weekly:"A mesmerizing narrative voice, an insider's view of a fabled literary household and the slow revelation of heartbreaking secrets contribute to the visceral impact of this first novel. From a few lines in The Alice B. Toklas Cook Book, Truong reimagines the Vietnamese cook who was hired by the famous residents at 27 rue de Fleurus. Bonh, as he calls himself, is an exile from his homeland, where he was denounced because of a homosexual relationship and banished by his brutal father. After three years at sea, Bonh ends up in Paris, where he answers Toklas's ad ("Two American ladies wish...") and enters the household of Gertrude Stein. ... Truong's supple prose is permeated with sensual detail, reminiscent of A Debt to Pleasure in its evocation of the erotic possibilities of food. But it is her intuitive understanding of the condition of exile-"the pure, sea salt sadness of the outcast"-that infuses her novel with richness and beauty."

For something to share, it would be great if you'd try your hand at a Vietnamese recipe. Does not have to be anything fancy. I will contribute one item and beverages, of course.

See you then!

Check it out!