New Orleans Lawyers Message Board › Are bar associations doing enough?

Are bar associations doing enough?

Ernest S.
user 8616244
New Orleans, LA
Post #: 10
Are bar associations doing enough to help their members, or are they just trundling along well-worn paths? The LSBA puts out a glossy bar journal that comes out six times a year and costs (according to the 2012 Annual Report) $167,599. It even includes a one-page humor column that isn't actually funny.

The President's Report trumpets the adoption of a new "Strategic Plan" which will "be an aspirational guide for the next five years." What does an "aspirational guide" that projects out five years actually accomplish? Technology is changing everything rapidly, including the legal world. Are our bar association overlords adept at predicting how those changes will play out in the next five years?

The President's report explains that the LSBA now has "a daily presence on Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter," and says they "use social media to advise members of current events that would be of interest." Okay, is that supposed to convince us that they understand how technology is affecting the practice of law? But wait, there's more! They "also use LinkedIn, Google+ and Pinterest to convey news regarding technology, practice tips and work/life balance."

They said "LinkedIn" twice. I guess they like LinkedIn.

Let's be real. Our bar leaders only put forth fatuous mumbo jumbo. No doubt they'd be angry at me for not harrumphing. But I put the question forth again: what are bar associations doing for their members these days that really counts for something?