addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

New York City By The Bay Message Board › Join the "NYers in SF" Google+ Community page!

Join the "NYers in SF" Google+ Community page!

Stephen B.
user 9077559
San Francisco, CA
Greetings, New York City by the Bay:

Hello from one of your co-chairs. You're cordially invited to join this Google+ Community page I set up on Google+, called New Yorkers in San Francisco. Full disclosure: Okay, I work at Google. But I really do think this Community page could be a good forum and will help us connect with other ex-New Yorkers who aren't part of the group or Meetup. Plus there are some nifty features like Party Mode (which lets everyone post all their event photos to the same place) and Hangouts (group video chats). I'm still learning all the ins and outs of it (bear with me: I'm an editor, not an engineer), but it could be a fun tool for the group.

How to Join

The fine print is that you have to have a Gmail account.

Click here then click "Join Community." Then you may want to fill out your Google+ profile if you haven't already (email me directly if you have questions about that: stephenbassman@gmail.com). More on Google+ Communities here.

You can toggle with the Notifications (if you don't want to get emails every time someone posts to the Community page): Just click on your name or photo in the upper right corner of your Gmail screen and select Privacy. Under Accounts select Google+. There are whole bunch of notification options there.

How to Post

There are a few ways to post. You can:

• Go to our Community page and post directly there. Only members of the community will see it.
  • Go to your Google+ page, post something there, and in the To field select New Yorkers in San Francisco. You can include +Public and other people/circles, or just our group if you want it to be more private.
  • Post directly from the net, from any page with a +1 share button on it. Click on that page's +1 and all your options will pop up (select our group, add a comment, etc.).
  • If you have the G+ app on your phone you can post photos and things directly from there.

What to Post

Whatever floats your boat, as long as it's at least vaguely related to SF/CA/NY. Just a few ideas:

• a pic of your subpar SF bagel (I just posted an article to the page on this topic)
  • a shot of a picnic you're enjoying in the middle of winter
  • requests for restaurant recommendations and other tips
  • rants about the lack of taxis here
  • discussions of taxi phone apps maybe?
  • frustrations of getting acclimated here
  • success stories of getting acclimated here
  • coordinated carpool trips to IKEA! (I would like in on this, hopefully soon)
  • that moment when you vote using SF's odd ranked voting ballot for the first time
  • a heads up on concerts and other findings (if it looks like something a lot of people would go for, we'll send it out as a Meetup invite)
  • pics from Meetup events
  • news articles, commentary, and reviews
  • any other stuff that NY transplants would understand and appreciate. Lots of possibilities here.

Note that when it comes to Meeetup ideas, logistical discussions, and things you want all members to see it would be best to use the Meetup discussion board Jeff just sent around, which is here­.

Apologies if this all sounds like a G+ ad. Hoping this helps create a New York-y dialogue and that people find it useful.

Cheers,

Steve

p.s. Hope to see you at the happy hour tomorrow night (Thursday) at Cassanova, 6 to 8pm.