December 30, 2010 · 9:00 AM
Contact Alex with any questions about this meetup
The Basics: We'll do Plateau or Sugarloaf. TBA. We'll met at the trail head at 9am.
An important note about winter hiking: You must be a solid intermediate hiker since we can't wait for slower hikers in the cold. Hikers without cold weather experience should take special care to make sure their gear is adequate. Contact the event organizer if you have any questions.
Getting a Spot: - There is no "maybe" option so only RSVP is you intend to come. - Please write in your RSVP if you are driving and from where, or if you are getting a ride. - Update your RSVP if you can't make it. - You will see a page of questions after you RSVP. You must answer these questions.
Car Pooling: There is no public transportation, and car pooling will be self-organized. Please mention in your RSVP if you have a car and where you are leaving from.
Winter Gear: See
H&N's Introduction to Winter Hiking for details
- Wicking base-layer top and bottom; Insulating layer (like a heavy fleece); Shell Jacket and pants (Gore-tex or other water/wind proof)
- Heavy wool socks & an extra pair
- Waterproof high-top boots
- Winter hat, gloves, face protector
- Headlamp (Always! It gets dark early)
- 2 liters of water minimum, don't rely solely on a hydration tubes in freezing weather
- Lunch, Snacks and extra food.
- Hiking map of the catskills
Microspikes are required. Other traction devices (YakTraxs, STABILicers) just don't work for hiking.
Snowshoes are required - You can rent them at EMS Strongly Suggested Gear:
- Hiking Poles
- Hand and foot warmers
All the maps we use are available through the H&N Amazon.com store. The Harriman map set covers with hike.
Weather: Hunter Mountain is a good proxy.
After the Hike: -Upload your pictures and review the hike!