Two important things about this hike:
1) I'm going to try an experiment to reduce no-shows: Pay $5 when you sign up, get $5 back when you show up! If you don't show up, you don't get it back.
2) This is shorter and slower paced then most of our hikes, but it is still a hike and a solid workout. We'll be walking several miles and doing the equivalent of taking the stairs up the Empire State Building in about two hours (that's 1,200' feet of elevation gain).
Contact Andre with any questions about this meetup.
Terrain: Rolling hills
Elevation Gain: 1500 feet or so
Distance: 6 miles RT from the visitors center (maybe some road walking on top of that)
Hiking Pace: ~1.5 miles per hour
We'll hike out of Sloatsburg, route TBA. We'll probably hike to a lake (about 2.5hr hike), take a long lunch break, and then back to Sloatsburg via a different trail making it a nice loop hike. People who want a slightly easier hike could head straight to the lake and back.
We will aim for the 6:40pm train back to the city. There is also a 4:20 train back to the city if anyone wants to hike back on their own.
The Skill Building Part:
We don't do a lot of beginner hikes so I want to use this opportunity to make sure everyone gets a chance to practice map reading and following a trail.
Getting a Spot:
RSVP with Yes if you want to come on this hike. Please write in your RSVP if you are driving and from where and if you're willing to offer a ride to fellow hikers.
A $5 "no-show penalty" fee is required when you RSVP. I'll hand out $5 bills at the start of the hike to those who show up. That fee is non-refundable if you don't show up.
We'll meet at the Sloatsburg train station.
Public Transportation Meeting Location & Return Time:
From Penn Station, take the 9:14 AM NEC Train to Secaucus Junction. Transfer to the 09:31 AM - MNBNP to Sloatsburg. It's worth taking the 9:07 train to Secaucus Junction in order to give yourself a little more time to make the transfer.
I suggest arriving at Penn at 8:45am so you'll have to time to buy your ticket (there is often a line).
We will aim for the 6:40 pm train back.
Plan to arrive at the Sloatsburg train station at 10am.
- Standard day-hiking gear (remember your sunscreen and bug spray)
- 2 liters of water = 2 quarts = half a gallon at minimum. 3 or 4 liters are suggested for a hot day.
- Lunch and Snacks
- Hiking map of Harriman park, compass
- Poncho or rain gear just in case
A more detailed description of proper day hiking equipment can be found here
All the maps we use are available through the H&N Amazon.com store. The Harriman map set covers this hike.
Check the weather for Sloastburg, NY
After the Hike:
-Upload your pictures and review the hike!
-Remember to check yourself for ticks. Deer Ticks are barely the size of a newsprint period and often carry Lyme Disease , so check yourself carefully.
See you on the trail!