January 1, 2013 · 7:00 PM
Have a great idea for a hike or event? H&N lets anyone post events with the “Suggest a Meetup” feature. For hikes, you should be an experienced hiker. But anyone can also post walks, bike rides, and other outdoor and nature related events around the city.
How to use the “Suggest a Meetup” feature:
Click on the “Suggest a Meetup” on the homepage, just above the list of upcoming events. This form will appear:
- “Let’s Meetup up and...” will be the event title.
- “When” should be the start of the event
- “Where” can be left blank (just put it in the “Details” below), but it is nice to use if possible
- “Details” will be the writeup of the event
If you're posting a hike, make sure “Details” include:
- “Contact <your name/screen name> with any questions about this event”
- Hike Basics: Hike level (easy, intermediate), Mileage, Elevation, Pace, Start and end time for the hikes.
- Plan: Intended route, with description and anything people should know about the event.
- Transportation: Include public transportation instructions and directions for driver. Lat/Long coordinates for trails head parking are great.
- Gear: Include any gear beyond the standard hiking gear
- Map: Include which map set covers the hike
- Weather: Let people know which city/town they should get the weather report for
For non-hiking events, just make sure the details cover everything people need to know. Especially how members can find you, where you'll be, how to find you in a crowd, and how long you'll wait for late comers.
Your event will appear under the “Meetups in the making section”, but members will not get an email announcement and it won’t appear on the main calendar until someone on the leadership team reviews it and announces the event.
Guidelines for responsible use:
- For hikes, you must be familiar with the area and have hiked it before.
- Please do not schedule any overnight events, advanced hikes, or anything you are personally collecting money for. (Contact one of the Admin if you'd like to do an event involving any of those, as we'll want to double check your plan.)
- As event host, please arrive early and provide people an easy way to find and contact you.
If you have any questions, feel free to email the group organizers.