Fall foliage hike with intermediate rock scrambles in Mohonk Preserve.
- Hiking Level: Intermediate hike
- Terrain: multiple narrow scrambling areas and some moderate hiking trails
- Distance: ~8 miles
- Hiking Pace: moderate
About the Hike:
We will meet right outside of the Mohonk Visitor Center in the parking area at 9:15am. After paying the entrance fee in the visitor center ($12 per person), we hike about 2 miles to the first rock scramble section. We will try and hit the Giant's Workshop, Eagle Cliff, Labyrinth & Lemon Squeeze, etc. The fall foliage will also be great at this time of the year. Plenty of photo ops. Be sure to wear hiking shoes with good traction. And bring a pair of gloves for rock scrambling (bike gloves will do).
Our meetup area by the visitor center parking lot: parking lot (that's[masked], [masked] in case the link doesn't work. Just go to Google maps and enter the coordinates).
Getting a Spot:
- Please write in your RSVP with your mode of transportation
- Drivers who are willing to give rides, please write in your RSVP from where and when you are leaving. If you'd like a ride, please contact a driver directly (and bring some money to cover the driver for gas and tolls)
- Update your RSVP if you can't make it
Day Hiking Gear:
Standard gear: hiking boots, non-cotton clothes, sunhat/windhat, etc.
- 2 liters of water minimum, more if you get thirsty easily
- Lunch, snacks and extra food
- gloves for rock scrambling (bike gloves will do)
- extra layers
- Shawangunk Trails hiking map
- Headlamp (just in case)
- Hiking poles (optional)
*** All the maps we use are available through the H&N Amazon.com store.
High 59°, Low 40°. Sunny (as of Wednesday, October 17)
Mohonk Preserve web site
Direction to the Visitor Center parking area
After the Hike:
Upload your pictures and review the hike!