add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Hiking & Nature Meetup Message Board Hiking & Nature Meetup Discussion Forum › Hiking trip on Appalachian Trail and Bear Mountain

Hiking trip on Appalachian Trail and Bear Mountain

A former member
Post #: 14
I'm planning on doing a short hike (3-4 hours) on the Appalachian Trail and Bear Mountain with my dog. I don't drive, so I'll be taking the Metro North from NYC to Harriman. Would like to get feedback on the best way to get from Harriman station on the Metro North to Bear Mountain and the Appalachian Trail.

Thanks in advance.
A former member
Post #: 2
Can you take a dog on the train?

As for getting from the train station at (Tuxedo) Harriman to any BM trail, I couldn't say. It's about 12 miles as the crow flies. But you can take the train to Harriman and hike right from the Tuxedo station. You won't get you any AT, but there are tons of trails from there, including some Long Path. As you stand on the platform, look east. That's Harriman. Then, take a look at your NYNJTC map of Harriman and orient it north. Don't have one? Stop, go to and buy the Harriman/Bear Mountain set (#118 & 119). Hell, become a member; they maintain hundreds of miles of trails in the area. The maps are 2012, and printed on Tyvek, the virtually indestructible material that express mail envelopes are made from. And you hit no trail without a map, a compass, and a headlamp, right? Right. With that out of the way, if you travel north for a way, about 200 yds, you'll see East Village Rd. Follow it. You'll double back a bit before crossing under I-87. Follow East Village to Grove, following it to the trailhead on your right after about 250 yards. You should see a red trail marker. All-in-all, about 3/4 of a mile.

Don't cross private property, as tempting as it may be.

Please bring at least microspikes, and boots for your dog. There will likely be ice on the trails until late April. Be careful, LNT, have fun, take pictures, and drop us a TR when you get back. Oh, and please, please, PLEASE keep your buddy on a leash (the law) and clean up after him/her, or at least walk him/her WELL off trail to take care of biz.
A former member
Post #: 21

This is very helpful. Thanks so much for your very detailed response.

Unlike Amtrak, Metro North allows dogs, so clear there.

The website is very informative and helpful. Thanks for the heads up on gear - I have some, but it's helpful to have EMS nearby to pick up what I don't, including the maps.

I'm looking forward to a fun time. Thanks again for your help.

user 5732960
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 61
I second Adam-- the Tuxedo stop is the easiest and probably the most popular way. Though if you've never done this it's a little tricky-- you actually get on a NJ Transit train at Penn Stn, then transfer at Secaucus, then hopefully there'll be others heading to the trailhead whom you can follow.

This train also stops at Suffern, Sloatsburg and Harriman, all of which give access to different trails. You're right, the Harriman station gets you closest to the AT, about an hour hike from train stn. I did this once a couple yrs ago but I can't remember much, except that we ran into a hunter carrying a big gun with bullets strapped on bandito style-- so if it's hunting season make sure you and your dog are wearing bright orange!!! There's also one quite steep section (Agony Grind) that your dog might not enjoy much... From the stn, I think we crossed Rt 17 then just looked for a blue blaze/ Sapphire Trail heading west/southwest. I don't think this trail is hiked much; not sure how well-maintained it is now. There's also a bus that stops right at the AT juncture with Rt.17 but i've never taken it.

Alternatively, you can get to the east side of the park and Bear Mtn by taking Metro North's Poughkeepsie line and getting off at Manitou (i think only the last car will let people off). Search schedule:­

From there it's maybe 2+ miles to Bear Mtn. Inn, which is near many trails (including the AT). There's also a bus that goes to/from Bear Mtn Inn (via Port Authority) but i'm not sure if they allow dogs:

Be sure to get maps, as Adam said.
A former member
Post #: 3
I hiked Harriman from Tuxedo and made a Dutch Doctor loop yesterday. CRAMPONS and at least ONE POLE!!! Or at least some Hillbound's. I kid you not, most of the trail is covered not in snow pack, but ice. Some places a few inches thick. And if it ain't the ice, there are still several inches of snow that slightly melted and refroze, making it quite slippery. Waterproof, insulated boots. A lot of the smaller water crossings have thin ice, so give them particular caution.

I'll suggest that if you don't have experience with ice and crampons, keep it light and avoid a lot of steep stuff. Or wait for May.

Your dog will need boots. Do they make crampons for dogs?

The bus does not allow pets, I called.

Good heads up on the xfer at Secaucus. And at Secaucus, seek out the Port Jervis line.
A former member
Post #: 23
Thanks guys. Since I have no experience with crampons, I think Harriman is kinda out for now, what with me trying to keep up with my dog on the leash and all. I'll probably end up going for a more realistic hike near Cold Spring. Will let you know.