New York City Oath Keepers Message Board New York City Oath Keepers Discussion Forum › Weekly Townhall Meetings From Home?????

Weekly Townhall Meetings From Home?????

GI J.
user 10571929
Port Washington, NY
Post #: 4,208
Any one out there who knows if it is possible to have live townhall meetings on the computer?

Would getting a program like "Go to Meetings" be useful, cheap enough for most?

These meetup sites are great, but maybe live chats would attract more individuals and have more active members?

GI Joe
Adam K.
user 38520792
New York, NY
Post #: 13
I could look into a specific solution if needed but wanted to chime in and encourage the use of Free Software rather than freedom-restricting solutions such as "Go To Meeting". For background info, check out fsf.org and/or gnu.org

Of course, the simplest solution here is simply to log onto IRC. It would be very easy to register a channel such as #oathkeepers on irc.freenode.net
GI J.
user 10571929
Port Washington, NY
Post #: 4,214
Thanks Windows...

I'm not trying to sell "go to meetings," but I know that to be a program busineeses use for conference meetings.

I'm a big fan of open source free software, but do not have the time to know all there is know about open source programs or how to set up conference connection.

I believe that this group and other patriot groups could benefit from having internet conference meetings regularly. I know that I do not have the time to go to meetings all over the place and with the economy getting worse for my industry, the cost of running around is a factor.

Any help on doing something like this would be great.

Thanks again.

GI Joe
Matthew K.
Matthew.M.Kelly
New York, NY
Post #: 31
GI Joe, I know we've had a discussion on this in another thread, but for the benefit of anyone reading here, I had setup an account for free web conferencing called "AnyMeeting.com", as well as free voice conferencing called "FreeConferenceCall.com".

I am all in agreement with Joe on the benefits of this approach as traveling to the various meetups is getting prohibitive (for me at least).
Adam K.
user 38520792
New York, NY
Post #: 14
Thanks Windows...

I'm not trying to sell "go to meetings," but I know that to be a program busineeses use for conference meetings.

I certainly know it wasn't a pitch and I agree it is an excellent idea. I was simply injecting some advocacy for pure Free Software based solutions in order to avoid the assumptions that members would be running freedom-restricting operating systems such as windows and mac osx. You're correct that many buisnesses do in fact run these proprietary applications but it unfortunatley is more an example of what not to do rather than something I think lovers of freedom want to mimic.

I'm a big fan of open source free software, but do not have the time to know all there is know about open source programs or how to set up conference connection.

Totally understood. Everything has a price. In some cases, it's learning curve, and other cases it is freedom. The problem with a proprietary tool such as the one mentioned is the dependency on underlying software (os, browser, etc) that is controlled by vendors who exist for the sole purpose of controlling their user base and restricting their ability to use their computers according to the Free Software Foundation's definition of freedom (0-4 to be specific).

I believe that this group and other patriot groups could benefit from having internet conference meetings regularly. I know that I do not have the time to go to meetings all over the place and with the economy getting worse for my industry, the cost of running around is a factor.

I agree 100%. This is a great idea and we should do something.

Any help on doing something like this would be great.

I still think IRC is a great method of Internet based communication. Think of the CB radio compared to the television and you'll start to get the idea. IRC is a text based network made up of standard protocols that people have been using for decades. The network continues to thrive despite the mainstream having no interest (they don't care since there's no "rich content" for them to push their wares through).

I'd be happy to go register #oathkeepers on irc.freenode.net. Doing so would give us a tool for real time discussion around the clock. I also like the sound of "AnyMeeting" but haven't checked it out yet. If it can be used by someone who is running 100% Free Software on their computer, I'm all for it. Regardless, having a dedicated IRC channel would be a great asset for our community. Shall I proceed and get a channel registered?

Best,
Adam
Adam K.
user 38520792
New York, NY
Post #: 15
FYI,

Looks like someone registered #oathkeepers on irc.freenode.net already.

09:07:01 -- | MSG(ChanServ): info #oathkeepers
09:07:01 -- | ChanServ (ChanServ@services.): Information on #OathKeepers:
09:07:01 -- | ChanServ (ChanServ@services.): Founder : en1ggy
09:07:01 -- | ChanServ (ChanServ@services.): Registered : Oct 26 00:47:36 2011 (1 year, 4 weeks, 0 days, 13:19:18 ago)
09:07:01 -- | ChanServ (ChanServ@services.): Last used : Nov 01 15:33:33 2011 (1 year, 3 weeks, 0 days, 22:33:21 ago)
09:07:01 -- | ChanServ (ChanServ@services.): Mode lock : -m
09:07:01 -- | ChanServ (ChanServ@services.): *** End of Info ***

I don't know who en1ggy is but have to assume they've abandoned the channel given the fact it was last used over a year ago. I'll start looking into freenode's procedures for claiming a channel in this condition. In the meantime, I'll just lurk in order to keep it open. If you point your favorite IRC client to irc.freenode.net and join #oathkeepers, I'm windowsrefund

Stop by :)
GI J.
user 10571929
Port Washington, NY
Post #: 4,221
Thanks Windows.

I never heard of irc before now. I'm pretty certain that very few others have. It appears to be a means of communication bypassing commercial operations. Will be looking into it more.

How does one "point" to?

Thanks Matthew for your help in setting up the telephone conferences.

What I'm hoping for is video conferencing as they do in many businesses.

If no one participates, it would be worthless. I'm hoping that it would increase participation by patriots.

As indicated by some of the info I posted, OB1 and the left have been doing these activities for some time and have enlisted many into their organization with little effort and cost?

GI Joe

PS I just found Cisco WebEx Meetings offers free video for up to 3 people??? Premium for $20/mon? So there is hope...
Adam K.
user 38520792
New York, NY
Post #: 16
Thanks Windows.

I never heard of irc before now. I'm pretty certain that very few others have. It appears to be a means of communication bypassing commercial operations. Will be looking into it more.

G.I.,

In that case, I'm glad you're now exposed. IRC is a very important Internet based service that continues to grow and be used by millions of people. True, it recieves no promotion by the mainstream but that's because they really have no means to exploit it. In other words, companies quickly saw http (The protocol used to deliver traditional web content) as being worth their time since they could advertise over it. The same is not true for IRC given its text based nature. At the same time, many popular "chat" programs are really nothing more than a pretty face ontop of an IRC backend. In other words, the value of IRC is its protocol and enormous user base.

How does one "point" to?

Basically, you use an IRC client. IRC clients exist for every operating system ever created so I'll resist making a specific recommendation. By "client", I just mean an application; similar to how your "web browser" is actually just a HTTP client (among other protocols). Once you've installed a client, you'd configure it to connect to irc.freenode.net (it will connect to port 6667 by default). Once connected, you'll "join" the #oathkeepers channel. Leaving whatever GUI options which may be available in your particular client aside for a moment, all of the above can be achieved with a simple:

/server irc.freenode.net
/join #oathkeepers

That is a very high level intro and I strongly suggest reading more even if it means starting at wikipedia. IRC is now more important than ever as you surely are aware of the many interests looking to further control and restrict the use of the Internet. I assure you, by "controlling the Internet", they'll go after policing the world wide web first and foremost. It's not because IRC can't be restricted just like any other protocol but rather, it's their ignorance in assuming the majority of us use the Internet for nothing more than Facebook and Google. Trust me, the IRC community is well established, well understood, and used 24/7 by millions of people all over the world. Again, it's an incredibly important resource to know how to leverage.

Thanks Matthew for your help in setting up the telephone conferences.

What I'm hoping for is video conferencing as they do in many businesses.

If no one participates, it would be worthless. I'm hoping that it would increase participation by patriots.

The best thing we can do is offer multiple channels for our community to come together through. There will be people here who are comfortable with and able to use a traditional "web conference" application but trust me, there will be others who will not be able to use that program for one or more reasons. As a sysadmin/developer by trade, I can tell you with confidence that the trick to successfully leveraging the Internet in order to sustain a community is to not isolate anybody. Think of the scenario where someone sends a person a Microsoft Word document and the recipient can't open the file because they don't have Microsoft Word installed (or even the correct version). Another example is the irresponsible web developer who writes his pages to render exclusively for Internet Explorer or Chrome. Another perfect example is the web site that forces Adobe Flash onto the user on the splash page. In this case, the developer shows his or her ignorance of the fact that millions of people choose not to interact with Flash for a variety of reasons. In fact, whenever I stumble on a site like this, I immediately close the tab and move on...

So basically, we want to make it easy for people to come together. That means offering a variety of tools they can use and always take into account the lowest common denominator. IRC is an excellent piece of that puzzle is going to complement each and every piece added to the final menu of tools. One particular advantage that comes to mind is the fact that our channel would be available 24/7. No "conferencing" solution is going to scratch that itch.

GI J.
user 10571929
Port Washington, NY
Post #: 4,223
Thanks Adam. That's a lot of info. I will do more research, but maybe you could help by posting a few step by step instructions on how to log on and start using irc for us. Something like IRC for Dummies?

It sounds exciting to me. I'm still trying to get more out of Linux/Ubuntu. Major problem is a thing called work and free time. More free time means less work available. That's not good...

These are really the times that try men's souls.

Any help would be appreciated.

GI Joe
Adam K.
user 38520792
New York, NY
Post #: 17
The best and most powerful approach is to install and start using a dedicated IRC client. Again, clients are available for every OS. For example, GNU/Linux users tend to use irssi, bitchX, weechat, and probably a dozen other popular solutions I can't remember. Windows users tend to use something called MIRC. Android users have popular clients like Android IRC. I have no clue what OSX users flock toward. But for a quick and dirty way in, just point your browser to http://webchat.freeno...­

Select a Nickname
Enter #oathkeepers for a channel
Enter the capta string(s) and connect

You should be dropped into the channel and you'll see me lurking (windowsrefund). Again, this is just a web proxy service offered by the freenode network itself so you'll be missing out on tons of features most popular dedicated clients offer but it's a good start.

Once you decide it's time to start digging deeper, I recommend reviewing http://en.wikipedia.o...­ for a high level overview. Eventually, you'll identify a particular client and which should provide its own set of documentation including howtos and other info.

Best,
Adam