New York City Oath Keepers Message Board New York City Oath Keepers Discussion Forum › Weekly Townhall Meetings From Home?????

Weekly Townhall Meetings From Home?????

GI J.
user 10571929
Port Washington, NY
Post #: 4,224
What is "Auth to services" Check box? and "Audiio captcha" Check box?

Check them or leave them unchecked?

GI Joe
Adam K.
user 38520792
New York, NY
Post #: 18
not important
GI J.
user 10571929
Port Washington, NY
Post #: 4,232
Logged into webchat.freenode. Saw you but couldn't type anything onto the page?

GI Joe
Adam K.
user 38520792
New York, NY
Post #: 19
enter your text in the input bar at the bottom of your browser and press enter
GI J.
user 10571929
Port Washington, NY
Post #: 4,234
Found it. So with this we could log on at the same time and chat live, is that correct?

We would have to make a schedule and let everyone know that we are doing this. Seems better than a telephone conference where people would have trouble not talking over one another.

Easy enough. Thanks Adam.

GI Joe

Adam K.
user 38520792
New York, NY
Post #: 20
Exactly. The idea is to provide a 24/7 access point to real time conversation via the IRC channel. Some of us will lurk in the channel continuously while others come and go as needed. Ideally, the oatkeeper websites will promote the channel with something like

IRC: irc.freenode.net #oathkeepers

Maybe even include a link to freenode's webchat site for people who, for whatever reason, aren't setup with their own dedicated IRC client.

As for meetings, again, it'd be quite easy for the channel to be promoted to serve in this capacity.
GI J.
user 10571929
Port Washington, NY
Post #: 4,241
Right you are Adam. It's easy and should be used by OK's for communication and certainly a regular live townhall meeting. It's just like logging into a Live Chat that many companies are using to give access to tech support. If I was able to do it, I know the rest out there can do it.

I haven't gotten a reply from you, but I see you are logged on.

GI Joe
Adam K.
user 38520792
New York, NY
Post #: 22
Yes. I am on IRC 24/7 as I tend to communicate with many groups. I may not always be in front of a computer but I'm always logged into IRC. Once you get more comfortable with the network, there's plenty of tools that make continuous interaction less painful. Right now, using a browser as your interface, it's going to be very painful to get that level of interaction going for yourself. As you start leveraging the network more and more, you'll want to get comfortable with a dedicated client. Using a browser to occasionally check into a single channel is one thing but it just doesn't scale when we start talking about multiple channels and potentially multiple IRC networks (dalnet, efnet, freenode, and more).

All in all, if the channel is going to be successful, it will be due to our continuous availability. That said, try to log in lurk if you're not going to be active. Others will tend to hang around if they see more people in the room and will tend to leave if the numbers are less inviting.

Also, let's try to spread the word and get in touch with whoever is admining the oathkeepers web site. They could easily promote this communications medium with a little blurb (see above) on the front page.
GI J.
user 10571929
Port Washington, NY
Post #: 4,246
This is great. Hopefully Glen has been monitoring this discussion.

How do I get a dedicated client? How do I use this with LINUX?

I try to use LINUX for my surfing.

GI Joe
Adam K.
user 38520792
New York, NY
Post #: 23
This is great. Hopefully Glen has been monitoring this discussion.

How do I get a dedicated client? How do I use this with LINUX?

I try to use LINUX for my surfing.

GI Joe

You really should be using GNU/Linux for everything of course. After all, there's nothing secure about anything produced by Microsoft or Applie given their proprietary nature and "grow or die" business model. That said, there are numerous howtos on the Internet that will teach how to try a dedicated client. Not only is learning how to use IRC a very valuable skill set to have but so is finding information like this. Did you start at the wikipedia page I mentioned? I recall there being numeroous appropriate links mentioned in the section about clients.