The New York City Pepperheads Meetup Group Message Board › Scoville Power!!!

Scoville Power!!!

This message board is read-only.

Jeanne
jemmari
New York, NY
Post #: 11
Something for us all to aspire to . . .

http://www.msnbc.msn....­
A former member
Post #: 23
Thanks for the link! I wish the writer had asked or included in their article something more concrete about the food/sauces that the bhut jolokia has typically been used in. Although I must admit I have only vague idea about scotch bonnet/habenero peppers but I can generally recognize their taste. Beyond the scoville level the different peppers do have their own flavor profile which may be hard to describe but I think is clearly recognizeable after a few informed encounters.

Pepper lovers seem to have an affinity for the internet so there is a lot of info on the web. The ever precise and up-to-date wikipedia has a clear photo of this "new" hot pepper as well as an informative graph highlighting the scoville rating of various well known peppers and that most well known sauce.

I find it worthy to note the rating for the jalepeno: 2,500 to 8,000. So true. They do vary so greatly. You don't know until you take a bite. It would be useful if markets were required to (as suggested by pepper loving chemist Michael Dong - techie alert) post certified scoville ratings. Or even better yet, as he mentions, having an easy portable way for individuals to test.

There are extremely simple testers for blood sugar. Having a little tester for scovilles doesn't seem out of the reach of todays technology. Then people could easily find their favorite level and more easily spice their food appropriately.

Yum.

Although, of course there will always be the joy riders who use the testers to prove how macho they are and to challenge one another until their tongues are numb and their sinuses are flooding.

Such is life.
David Aaron H.
davidaaronhahn
New York, NY
Post #: 90
It would be useful if markets were required to (as suggested by pepper loving chemist Michael Dong - techie alert) post certified scoville ratings.

The Fiery Foods Super Site has a number of interesting articles about the development and use of the Scoville rating system.