The goal of this meetup is to help people learn about and practice Stoicism. Specifically, our aims are:
- To provide a welcoming environment for people new to Stoicism so they can learn about it and see if it's for them
- To lend support for experienced Stoic practitioners through discussion and practice suggestions
- To give a chance for Stoics and potential Stoics to meet and socialize in a nurturing environment
We will attempt to meet in low- or no-cost environments in order to allow people to discuss Stoicism regardless of financial means. We will also attempt to meet in environments with as few distractions as possible so that fruitful discussion can take place.
During a meetup, we'll aim to do a few things:
- Have time for open conversation, discussion, and socializing
- Discuss an assigned reading that will be announced for each meetup; this will be where we will spend most of our time, so doing the assigned reading is highly encouraged
- Leave each meetup with some practical takeaways that we can actually put to use in our lives - theory's necessary, but Stoicism is best when practiced
There is no fee for any event, nor are there membership dues. However, maintaining the meetup site costs money, so donations are welcome and greatly appreciated to help defray the costs of the meetup and keep it running.
Donating your time is also greatly appreciated. If you are interested in leading a discussion group, being a co-organizer for the meetup, or have any suggestions about when to meet or topics to discuss, feel free to take the initiative and make this meetup group your own by suggesting meetups and discussing logistics in the 'discussions' section of the meetup page!
Speaking of that section - remember, we're all an excellent resource for each other. Feel free to take advantage of that by asking questions, discussing, and debating in the meetup page's 'discussions' section.
Finally, if you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact the organizer.