New York Club for Commercial Space Ventures Message Board › What can we do?

What can we do?

A former member
Post #: 2
Its great to find so many people enthusiastic about Commercial Space Exploration in NYC.

I hope the enthusiasm and discussion continues and we could possibly organize an event.

Let us share our views on how
1) We can participate in Planetary Resources's attempt to launch Arkyd-100 for exploring asteroids for valuable minerals.

2) Ensure that New York City and its tech community is an integral part and preferably a leader in such efforts, as we have always been.

3) How we can increase public awareness about this.

4) Any other uses that we can think of such exploration and how it would benefit the economy and humanity on a larger scale.

New Yorkers let this excitement not die. I will wait for you guys to reply.
A former member
Post #: 18
I completely agree! Apologies for the delay in responding. It's just been one of those summers in my field. I would say that #1 is probably a no-go... I have not heard anything from Planetary Resources that makes me think they have a viable business plan in place to capitalized on commercial space endeavors. Other than, that is, whatever profits they might glean from satellite services.

But we should definitely make efforts to keep commercial space endeavors a prime area of technological and, almost as importantly, financial expertise in the greater NYC Metropolitan area. We have so many great economic and financial minds in this city, but none focussed... and I mean, REALLY focussed, on what we can do to make the commercial space industry actually viable.

To that end, my co-organizer Julia and I have been talking about setting up a conference, however small at first, dedicated to bringing financial people together to educate them about space and start them thinking about how, given our present market, investors might begin to put money towards future space endeavors. Thoughts?
A former member
Post #: 27
Let us share our views on how
1) We can participate in Planetary Resources's attempt to launch Arkyd-100 for exploring asteroids for valuable minerals.

Hi again, just wanted to follow up on your earlier post, which was perfectly in tune with this club's mandate. Any thoughts on how we could help PR? Despite my initial excitement, I hesitate to rally to their flag too quickly, because they haven't actually put forth a viable mission statement for the next two-three decades...

2) Ensure that New York City and its tech community is an integral part and preferably a leader in such efforts, as we have always been.

Yes, regardless of what recent politicoes have said about Wall St., our nation's financial community is one of the crown jewels that make our otherwise sluggish economy strong. If anyone should be involved, it is Wall St.!

3) How we can increase public awareness about this.

This is of prime concern for our group, I think. Conferences, meetings, social gatherings, educational seminars, a PAC and a push for seminars in Business Schools across the country would be a fine start. Based on our last presidential race, I fear that much public discourse is needed to stop pro-space agenda from being fodder for SNL skits....