PiWi
user 3398759
Virginia Water, GB
Post #: 71

Love is the most selfish emotion that there is. Like all emotions they are the expression of the psycho-epistimology of the individual, essentially the ideas, the principles that one holds.

I love my puppy. I cannot reconcile that with the statement (insert pejorative here) above.

Then think again. Why do you love your puppy?

Because you pity it?
Because you think you have to?
Because you consider it to be an act of self-sacrifice?

Of course not.

You love your puppy because he or she gives you tremendous pleasure and you love it because of itself, not in spite of itself.

This is intensely selfish and it is good.

Trying to understand more precisely what your position means...

So if my love for someone else makes me want to help them them even though it will frustrate others of my needs and wants, because i feel a higher satisfaction from helping that person, in your moral code it would be the right thing to do?

And if i feel like it is my interest in the long run to relinquish certain of my freedoms in order to be afforded more security or other benefits for me, again, it would make sense to do that?

As long as i don't do these things out of obligation, or self-sacrifice for its own sake, it would be a good course of action?
A former member
Post #: 149
­
Love is the most selfish emotion that there is. Like all emotions they are the expression of the psycho-epistimology of the individual, essentially the ideas, the principles that one holds.

I love my puppy. I cannot reconcile that with the statement (insert pejorative here) above.

Then think again. Why do you love your puppy?

Because you pity it?
Because you think you have to?
Because you consider it to be an act of self-sacrifice?

Of course not.

You love your puppy because he or she gives you tremendous pleasure and you love it because of itself, not in spite of itself.

This is intensely selfish and it is good.

Trying to understand more precisely what your position means...

So if my love for someone else makes me want to help them them even though it will frustrate others of my needs and wants, because i feel a higher satisfaction from helping that person, in your moral code it would be the right thing to do?

And if i feel like it is my interest in the long run to relinquish certain of my freedoms in order to be afforded more security or other benefits for me, again, it would make sense to do that?

As long as i don't do these things out of obligation, or self-sacrifice for its own sake, it would be a good course of action?

The answers are found in previous thread postings here. Just read back.

JCB: this is a post that is not up to the standards of New York Philosophy. Please edit to pleasantly address and rationally counter the poster's points. Review the rules of the message board if necessary.