addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

"New York Philosophy" Message Board › immigration debate

immigration debate

A former member
Post #: 274
What do you think about the immigration debate?
A former member
Post #: 276
Do you think they should be deported?

Do you think they should be made citizens?
A former member
Post #: 6
Who are 'they'?
A former member
Post #: 277
Who are 'they'?

Illegal immigrants
A former member
Post #: 51
I'm against borders - period. I believe sharing is the only way to ensure world peace in the future.
A former member
Post #: 279
I'm against borders - period. I believe sharing is the only way to ensure world peace in the future.

So you don't believe in nationalism at all? That's very interesting.
John
broughton
New York, NY
Post #: 171
build a wall. prove we (USA) can control immigration. develop a humane guest worker (not naturalization) program. Fix our naturalization program.
A former member
Post #: 143
build a wall. prove we (USA) can control immigration. develop a humane guest worker (not naturalization) program. Fix our naturalization program.

America is not supposed to be a fearful nation. Yet it is fear and perhaps racism that powers the current movement against immigration reform.

I speculate if there were 10 million or whatever Scandinavians rather than mostly non-white Mexicans, whether this whole debate would even exist.

America is a nation of 300 million. There may be over 12 million illegal immigrants in the US. These people are working - or they would starve, they have no financial power, no political power, are in fact the weakest group of anyone in the US.

Yet they are also tough people. They tend to work in conditions and for wages that no American would consider proper.

They do work that most Americans consider beneath them.

Of course the borders ought to be secure and I favor putting the US military in place because no nation can tolerate border invasions such as the US is enduring.

But any solution must be a proper solution.

I ask this question: in 1986, Prez. Reagan proposed and had passed an amnesty for millions. Sincethen, has America sufferted? No. America has prospered.

And even though the terms of the new immigration reform are apparently pretty onerous [exactly how does an illegal immigrant afford a $5,000 fine when earning probably not much more than the minimum wage?] it is better than nothing.

So I say, America is brave nation, it is a nation that generous and forgiving. So lets forgive and welcome individuals that not only want to be here but in many cases have American born immediate family nations.

Let us be a humane nation, with good laws rather than merely legality.
A former member
Post #: 290
I think some people are scared that they are going to take over like with the language issue when Spanish is offered.

That I think people are right in. English is the national language first then a person can speak whatever they want.

I'm an immigrant myself here. I came here when I was two years old. I'm 39 now.

So I'm just trying to understand here what people are worried about. And sometimes I honestly do think this when things get heated in politics the government throws that out to divide and conquer the people.

But one thing I do know is there is a big difference of calling someone a criminal who hurt someone and somebody who came here who works and tries to make a better life for themselves.
A former member
Post #: 146
I think some people are scared that they are going to take over like with the language issue when Spanish is offered.

That I think people are right in. English is the national language first then a person can speak whatever they want.

I'm an immigrant myself here. I came here when I was two years old. I'm 39 now.

So I'm just trying to understand here what people are worried about. And sometimes I honestly do think this when things get heated the government throws that out to divide and conquer the people.

But one thing I do know is there is a big difference of calling someone a criminal who hurt someone and somebody who came here who works and trys to make a better life for themselves.

There is no official language in the United States and implicit therein is the conclusion that the Framers did not consider it neccessary, vital or important.

The Framers, the American pioneers were not feint of heart. They were courageous people, something that has eroded in thw West today.

Freedom, the abstract concept that powers and sustains individual liberty, requires moral courage and accompanying metaphysical view of existence, the corrollary that is opposed by prevailing mainstream thought today.

If English cannot survive as the lingua franca in America, then it does not deserve to survive. You see it is interwined with the fundamental base that America stands upon - the right of the individual to their life.

English is the language of individual liberty. It was and is the English speaking nations that have and still do, rescue the world from tyrrany.

In summary, as goes the United States, succeeding or failing, will go the langauge spoken.

Spanish is the language of failed nations. This does not make it a bad language, but it is not accidental that there are no English speaking nations that have ever seen the rise of dictatorship.

The Framers were incredibly learned intellectuals who were also great warriors. And they understood all this well.