"New York Philosophy" Message Board › Entertaining and thought-provoking book club

Entertaining and thought-provoking book club

Elaine
user 2552379
New York, NY
Post #: 202
Send an Email Post a Greeting
When they say, "Beam us up, Scotty," where do they go? Do they cease to exist while they are being transported? Is it really them when their atoms seem to be reassembled back on the ship? I've picked some good basic articles, and a few short stories from The Mind's I, edited by Douglas Hofstadter and Daniel Dennett. Contributors include Searle, Nagel, Lem. In the Files section of this website, there is a very brief summary of the chapters we'll be discussing, Tuesday evening, 6:30-8pm at the Muhlenberg Branch Public Library, 209 West 23rd (at 7th Ave), 3rd flr, near numerous subway stns, etc. You don't have to have read the chapters to participate in the discussions. No fee or membership required.
Patrick Sullivan
PADRAEG
New York, NY
Post #: 126
Lem is really growing in popularity. Pity USA version of Solaris with Geo Clooney was so awful. Have you seen the original? Fantastic!
Elaine
user 2552379
New York, NY
Post #: 203
Is there another Solaris film? I didn't know about it. The Clooney film, like most films, doesn't begin to compare with the book itself.