"New York Philosophy" Message Board › October Events, free and open to all.

October Events, free and open to all. Film, Important Book, Special Lecture and Discussion, Brunch

Elaine
user 2552379
New York, NY
Post #: 259
Monday, October 20, at 7 pm, see the classic film, Network. We have the entire back room of the Stone Creek Lounge to ourselves for this multiple-Oscar, Paddy Chayefsky satire on television news programming. Your news anchor goes crazy on air, urging viewers to open their windows and shout with him, "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!". Faye Dunaway knows what to do about it . . .. Directed by Sidney Lumet. No admission charge or membership required. Food and drink available. Discussion follows the movie. 140 E. 27th St., (Lex/3rd)

Sunday, October 26th at 12:30, our monthly casual brunch at Fusia Asian Cuisine for cheerful conversation with fellow humanists, rationalists, freethinkers. Fusia is midtown, inexpensive, and very good. Order from the menu, individual checks. 677C Lexington Avenue (on 56th Street just east of Lex). www.fusia56.com.

As Monty Python would say -- and now, for something completely different, (in New York City, anyway): early Tuesday evening, October 28, longstanding member of the Secular Humanist Society of NY and authentic member of a minority group, Dr. Wayne Whitmore will discuss Libertarianism and its relevance for today's society. His presentation, Secularism and Libertarianism: Rooted in Reason, will be followed by discussion until the library throws us out at 8pm. Doors open at 6pm. Please join us at the Muhlenberg Public Library (third floor), 209 W. 23rd St. (near 7th Avenue), conveniently located near multiple subway stations, bus stops and PATH station.

Thursday evening, October 30th, our Book Club is meeting to discuss Bomb Scare: The History and Future of Nuclear Weapons, by Joseph Cirincione. A summary of the book will be available under Files in the upper left side of our Meetup page or you can e-mail me for it. Feel free to crib or share it. The book itself is also out in paperback. Our Book Club meeting will be held at the Muhlenberg Public Library (third floor), 209 W. 23rd St. (near 7th Avenue), conveniently located near multiple subway stations, bus stops and PATH station. Again, the room opens at 6, the library throws us out at 8. Why are our public funds for libraries so limited that most of them are open only 5 or 6 days a week, and have limited evening hours? (Excuse me, I get very exercised on that subject.)

Elaine
Elaine
user 2552379
New York, NY
Post #: 263
It seems that, in my enthusiasm, I forgot to explicitly name the sister group in question. These events are being put on in October by the Secular Humanist Society of NY, which also has a meetup site.